• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zover
    Banned
    • Mar 2014

Re: John Digweed live in?

Originally posted by simonr
    You only need to looks at the variety across Bedrock releases this year.

Music wise .. everything from dub techno, ambient and deep house, to tech house, old style dark prog, German stuff, Detroit House, Argentinian producers and the latest from a small night in Honolulu, up front bangin' techno to the odd vocal, indie/nu disco track and a bit of acid, he'll drop an unmastered demo he's got the night before to close a set at Space, bring out obscure and forgotten tracks from the 90's and fit them in so they sound current .. all blended with the touch of a master craftsman. New labels and artists appearing all the time.
    Basically house and techno then! (And I haven't heard much house in Digweed's sets in a long time) It's like potential and reality, potentially you're listening to lots of different genres, in reality you're listening to hundreds of varieties of the same old shit.

Comment

• simonr
      Transitionator
      • Jun 2004

Plus the odd peruvian pipe band minimal collaboration w. hungarian gypsy strings and percussion from an Andes cordillera quartet playing instruments they've hand crafted themselves.

Villalobos 32 min rmx out soon on Perlon
      sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

There IS variety in a Digweed set depending on the night and crowd he's playing to, he doesn't throw random shit at the floor. And his sets on a whole vary across different nights/tours, even the programming.

For the sake of discussion the variety can be narrower compared to the likes of Laurent Garnier but isn't that the purview of progressive house? The tracks have to blend together. Perhaps if all you hear is 'basically house and techno' the DJ is doing a better job than you give him credit for.

I rate Cattaneo somewhere between Howells and Digweed, sometimes easy listening fluff, sometimes, subjectively, 'proper' danceable music. Like go0gle and Jenks said, Cattaneo on the whole feels safer and more PG to me, he's never pushed it to the point where I might go 'holy fuck what was that', certainly not as many times and the way Digweed has.

On the flip side some Digweed sets just can't be enjoyed sitting in a car or at the desk.

They're all different DJs, like Nick Warren, can't really compare them. If they all deliver consistently then it's the set and setting that changes the perception of and how the music is received.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Zover
          Banned
          • Mar 2014

Originally posted by feather
          For the sake of discussion the variety can be narrower compared to the likes of Laurent Garnier but isn't that the purview of progressive house? The tracks have to blend together. Perhaps if all you hear is 'basically house and techno' the DJ is doing a better job than you give him credit for.
          Or he is playing the genre he is associated with. What about Paul Woolford? That guy is four genres in one day.

Comment

• Zover
            Banned
            • Mar 2014

There IS variety in a Digweed set depending on the night and crowd he's playing to, he doesn't throw random shit at the floor. And his sets on a whole vary across different nights/tours, even the programming.
            So point me in the direction of said set?

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

No, I'm not here to convince you otherwise, that was my POV and it's subjective If you're curious enough you can seek out the readily available sets yourself, otherwise it's me/us trying to convince you of something you've already made up your mind about; and taste being so subjective this will a zero-sum game.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Zover
                Banned
                • Mar 2014

So point me in the direction of one of these genre jumping sets. It should be easy enough, I haven't the time to wade through 15 years of Transitions sets. I listen to a lot of music, but I can't say I have heard anything to put DIgweed in this genre jumping bracket that people are proclaiming.

Comment

• feather
                  Shanghai ooompa loompa
                  • Jul 2004

You should read my previous reply.

Comment

• Zover
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2014

I did, I'm asking you for the data. Back your statement up. There are 966 Digweed sets on Mixesdb please tell me which one is this genre jumping moster.

Comment

• Zover
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2014

I can give you examples from genre jumping DJ's if you want.

Comment

• simonr
                        Transitionator
                        • Jun 2004

Please do : point us to a few sets to understand your perspective.
                        sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Zover
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2014

Oh all to easy. Paul Oakenfold, genre jumping in 1997, he managed to do a whole Essential Mix of Breaks and drum & Bass. He even did a GU of of genre jumpin.

Comment

• feather
                            Shanghai ooompa loompa
                            • Jul 2004

Zover, you're coming across as someone who has made up his mind about Digweed and is asking me/us to convince you otherwise.

You fail to understand that it's not my responsibility to do so. We exchanged opinions on a matter that is entirely subjective. Music is not 'data'. What might be eclectic to me might not be to you, our idea of house and techno might vary, and what I consider to be a good eclectic set might be a bad eclectic set to you.

And even if we agree on a good eclectic set from Digweed, it could be a one-off—it won't be enough to change your mind wholly about Digweed. Digweed is not the kinda eclectic DJ I compare with Tenaglia or Garnier.

I don't follow DJs like Howells or Holden or Troxler et al closely but I'll check out their sets if the mood suits me to hear what they're playing these days.

If you want to keep an open mind about it then feel free to dip in and out of the Transition sets, they're out every week. There's no need to go through the entire back catalog.

There's enough music out there you don't have to be convinced to like something you don't.

Comment

• Zover
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2014

Laurent Garnier live in Russia 2005, again managed to go from techno to psychedelia then drum and bass.

Comment

• Zover
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2014

Zover, you're coming across as someone who has made up his mind about Digweed and is asking me/us to convince you otherwise.

You fail to understand that it's not my responsibility to do so. We exchanged opinions on a matter that is entirely subjective. Music is not 'data'. What might be eclectic to me might not be to you, our idea of house and techno might vary, and what I consider to be a good eclectic set might be a bad eclectic set to you.

And even if we agree on a good eclectic set from Digweed, it could be a one-off—it won't be enough to change your mind wholly about Digweed. Digweed is not the kinda eclectic DJ I compare with Tenaglia or Garnier.

I don't follow DJs like Howells or Holden or Troxler et al closely but I'll check out their sets if the mood suits me to hear what they're playing these days.

If you want to keep an open mind about it then feel free to dip in and out of the Transition sets, they're out every week. There's no need to go through the entire back catalog.

There's enough music out there you don't have to be convinced to like something you don't.
                                oh now I have to keep an open mind, but you still won't tell me one of nine hundred and sixty six.

Comment

Working...