• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIDI
    Aussie Pest
    • Nov 2004

Re: John Digweed live in?

Originally posted by chanty
    Unfortunately I didn't make it to Hernan. I was out of town this past weekend. : (. How was Digweed DIDI?
    He was really good with touches of greatness. They picked a couple of wonderful locals to support him, Phil K and Jamie Stevens really did us proud !! I had a really great night. !! But the general consensus from the people who went to see both Hernan and Digweed was that Hernan was a level above this year. That's why I keep nagging you. I would so love for you in particular to experience his music. I'm so sure you would like him. I think he would probably like you too !! I can't believe how he just keeps getting better. Well, actually I probably can , he just works so hard at it !!

Apparently Montreal was a legend in waiting and that's what it ended up !! I may make that my next big trip.
    Originally posted by TheVrk
    it IS incredible isn't it??
    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• go0gle
      Platinum Poster
      • Jan 2007

^ I've seen Hernan live twice and he was great both times, but to be honest he seems to have perfected a "comfort zone" and he kind of just hangs there, where Digweed would venture out of his and smoothly blend different styles into one journey.. its more engaging, at least for me

Comment

• Illuminate
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Aug 2009

Agree 100% on all of the above,

He played a garden party here in Sydney, couldn't have asked for a more perfect mix, irrespective of the pony weather.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
        Sbando
        - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
        Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
        Bob
        "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
        the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
        KiwiTollway

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by go0gle
          ^ I've seen Hernan live twice and he was great both times, but to be honest he seems to have perfected a "comfort zone" and he kind of just hangs there, where Digweed would venture out of his and smoothly blend different styles into one journey.. its more engaging, at least for me
          I've actually lost count of how many times I've seen Hernan . Never felt anything like that . Digweed I have seen 6 -7 times over the years and I have been impressed 2 1/2 times. He always seems to have to faff around a little , sometimes a lot, to get into a set . I hate just standing on the dancefloor. Hernan has done that once that I can remember. And I remember clearly because it was so unusual, I love the way I feel as his sets begin and unwind.

I saw 4 of Hernan's gigs over 8 days and it took ME way out of any comfort zone , let alone Hernan . People run into each other at parties and just say "The Boat !! " and we know exactly what they mean. All four were different and amazing in their own right.
          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• Jenks
            I'm kind of a big deal.
            • Jun 2004

^ I've seen Hernan live twice and he was great both times, but to be honest he seems to have perfected a "comfort zone" and he kind of just hangs there,
            ^I get that. Hernan is a good dj, and obviously has his niche and fans, but his music has never really been my kind of thing- it's like going to see a PG movie.

Comment

• simonr
              Transitionator
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DIDI
              He was really good with touches of greatness. They picked a couple of wonderful locals to support him, Phil K and Jamie Stevens really did us proud !! I had a really great night. !! But the general consensus from the people who went to see both Hernan and Digweed was that Hernan was a level above this year. That's why I keep nagging you. I would so love for you in particular to experience his music. I'm so sure you would like him. I think he would probably like you too !! I can't believe how he just keeps getting better. Well, actually I probably can , he just works so hard at it !!

Apparently Montreal was a legend in waiting and that's what it ended up !! I may make that my next big trip.
              Don't really see it as a competition.

Both responsible for amazing sets this year : different DJs but both with the same passion.
              sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• chuckc
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

kind of different styles really, perfect situation would be Hernan playing with diggers to follow which i was lucky enough to experiance at vagabond a while ago, forget what year 06 maybe

Comment

• Hoff
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Aug 2009

Comment

• unkle
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • Mar 2007

Hernan and John are amazing,
                    ok, Hernan is best for me,
                    but, why we are comparing ?
                    both are on top.

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

^^^ I was particularly comparing events over a short space of time for ME, and a lot of others here.

Plus I wanted to get across to Chanty how much she is missing

Comment

• foreks
                        Addiction started
                        • Jun 2004

Cattaneo's live sets are rather for stoned students whereas Digweed's mixes are for heavy party drunkards - that's the main difference.

Comment

• Zover
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2014

Digweed would venture out of his and smoothly blend different styles into one journey.. its more engaging, at least for me
                          When does DIgweed play different styles of music? I can't say I have ever heard different genres in his sets. The style he starts with is the style he finishes with, the only difference is the tempo. If there is a set where he has don this, point me in its direction.

Comment

• Zover
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2014

The old Tenaglia, now that was different styles. Start with some Garage, move into some House, then some Progg followed by Trance or Techno, climaxing with some Classics.

Comment

• simonr
                              Transitionator
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Zover
                              When does DIgweed play different styles of music? I can't say I have ever heard different genres in his sets. The style he starts with is the style he finishes with, the only difference is the tempo. If there is a set where he has don this, point me in its direction.
                              You only need to looks at the variety across Bedrock releases this year.

His style is never going to jump around with massive polarity in a set, there will always be an element of control to keep things tight and building. Certainly don't expect to hear any garage, but you'll get the odd Prince track on a boat party.

Music wise .. everything from dub techno, ambient and deep house, to tech house, old style dark prog, German stuff, Detroit House, Argentinian producers and the latest from a small night in Honolulu, up front bangin' techno to the odd vocal, indie/nu disco track and a bit of acid, he'll drop an unmastered demo he's got the night before to close a set at Space, bring out obscure and forgotten tracks from the 90's and fit them in so they sound current .. all blended with the touch of a master craftsman. New labels and artists appearing all the time.

I'd hate it if a DJ just played a variety of styles for the sake of it i-pod shuffle stye. That's why a listen to a range of people who I consider are creative and at the top of their game.

But if I want to hop genres totally I go and listen to some jazz C.
                              sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• DIDI
                                Aussie Pest
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by foreks
                                Cattaneo's live sets are rather for stoned students whereas Digweed's mixes are for heavy party drunkards - that's the main difference.
                                Seriously though, they both have the most incredible range of punters at their gigs.

Comment

Working...