X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chuckc
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Portable Music Player - Recommendation

Anyone have any recommendations for a really good sounding portable music player that has a lot of storage. I have a sony walkman mp3 player which i really like but it only has 16 gb of space.

i am not an apple fan, and really looking for something that is simple to use. just plug it in were you can create folders and organize your music. I do like having the shuffle option also were you can shuffle all the music on the device or just tunes you may have in specific folders.

appreciate anyone's insight
  • diegoff
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: Portable Music Player - Recommendation

I use the sony walkman, as you do. Donīt know any other than Appleīs
    Itīs a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
    Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
    May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• audrey_w
      Gold Gabber
      • Jan 2013

I use an iriver hd340, it has 40g memory, can record from line, mic or internal mic. Plug into a pc to organise folders without need for any crap like itunes, it just appears as a drive.
      It has headphone out and line out
      Operates/charges via mains or usb and if the battery begins to lose its ability to hold a charge you can, wait for it, replace the battery.
      Pisses all over the disposable products from apple, wholly recommend.

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

Review - HiFiMAN HM-700: A Slick Portable Music Player For Audiophiles | TrulyGadgets

Head-fi is the best place to research: Portable Source Gear

The best Audiophile MP3 Player?

I think DD has an Astell and Kern and somebody else around here.

I would love to get a dedicated audiophile player but 1) convenience and 2) downloaded sets hold me back. For me there's no point in getting one if I'm playing low bitrate downloads.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

^^^ I love that one you put up!! Cute as !! And cheap. !! Needs more storage though. .

The Astell and Kern is probably the opposite of what he wants. Sounds wonderful but a pain in the arse to operate Just for the record I didn't expect it but my 320 sets definitely sound better.

Owning this has also given me a bigger appreciation of Apple! I hate iTunes with a passion but iPods are sooo easy to use.

After all the reading I have done on that I swear i will never call myself an audiophile. I think that is code for pretentious wanker
          Originally posted by TheVrk
          it IS incredible isn't it??
          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
          Simply does not get any better than Hernan
          The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• diegoff
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

nice ones!!!! Iīll check them out, I want an upgrade, cause of the storage
            Itīs a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
            Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
            May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• chuckc
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

thanks so much for the feedback everyone does anyone know much about this device

I see Neil Young is coming out with a device PONO but its 400 dollars, not a whole lot of details out there either.

Comment

• DIDI
                Aussie Pest
                • Nov 2004

The filo has a 9 hour charge time Only plays 10 . Also doesn't play aiff , which I'm assuming means you couldn't put tracklists on your albums. Not a good storage on board. My AK100 takes 5 hours to charge and although thery say it plays for 15 , I don't get that that and that was the first thing I got to hate. And the first thing that made me appreciate my iPod Classic.

It's designed to work with an associated PonoMusic.com service, which will provide users with "the finest quality, highest-resolution digital music from both major labels and prominent indpendent labels." It's not been confirmed yet who exactly that will include, though hopefully there's a decent stash available to listen to by the time the device is launched.
                I think this is what scared me off the the Pono . Even if hi - res is what you want, how much is there going to be available ? and what will it cost. ? And I wouldn't want to be tied to another iTunes like system. Found this in another review

the Pono, essentially, is the gated community of music players,

Interesting thing about the iPod Classic is that they are going up in price since they discontinued them [again] in Sept. I am selling the one that I bought a year ago and it is already up to the price I paid for it and still 2 days to go. I have another 2 of them . Definitely keeping one as a backup.
                STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jan 2014

Interesting information in this thread!

Originally posted by DIDI
                  After all the reading I have done on that I swear i will never call myself an audiophile. I think that is code for pretentious wanker

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

Interesting thing about the iPod Classic is that they are going up in price since they discontinued them [again] in Sept. I am selling the one that I bought a year ago and it is already up to the price I paid for it and still 2 days to go. I have another 2 of them . Definitely keeping one as a backup.
                    Ok it's now $40 over what I paid for it brand spanking new. I might go and see if the shop I got it from has any more

Comment

• feather
                      Shanghai ooompa loompa
                      • Jul 2004

iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player Reviews

Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Mango (Latest Update: 2014-11-05)

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• DIDI
                        Aussie Pest
                        • Nov 2004

What is Rockbox ?? My eyes started to cross

Comment

• simonr
                          Transitionator
                          • Jun 2004

Bloody hell : I can pretty much buy a new Pioneer for the price of that Astell and Kern !

I just play off my i-phone and am happy that I can export playlists from i-tunes .. which I tolerate. Apps like Rekordbox are a real bonus for playing tracks and testing Cue Points and playing round with Loops.

My Allen & Heath XD20's work well too.

Great value price for people in the US Allen Heath Xone XD-20 In Ear Headphones x-one xd20 iphone ipod earbuds 6938122235649 | eBay
                          sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• feather
                            Shanghai ooompa loompa
                            • Jul 2004

What is Rockbox ?? My eyes started to cross
                            It's an alternate OS to run on some mp3 players, presumably with better functions.

Comment

• DIDI
                              Aussie Pest
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by simonr
                              Bloody hell : I can pretty much buy a new Pioneer for the price of that Astell and Kern !

I just play off my i-phone and am happy that I can export playlists from i-tunes .. which I tolerate. Apps like Rekordbox are a real bonus for playing tracks and testing Cue Points and playing round with Loops.

My Allen & Heath XD20's work well too.

Great value price for people in the US Allen Heath Xone XD-20 In Ear Headphones x-one xd20 iphone ipod earbuds 6938122235649 | eBay
                              My musical talent is listening well and I take that really seriously But I really shouldn't have bought that. I'm sure there are ways to do it better . It is a real pain to use. I leapt in too fast. I 'm looking around for something that suits better for my requirements. The iBasso is one I am looking at . I want to actually touch one and that is proving difficult here.

I think it's great that these hi res players seem to be getting a little more mainstream . But they still have audiophile nerd mentality. Carrying around a headphone amp sort of reduces the portability I'm not doing it Up to date I haven't found any of them have anywhere near the ease of use of an iPod . Problem is once you hear these players it's hard to go back. .

Comment

Working...