X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Time for Goodbye?

Let's face it, the forums are dying, the social media landscape is just not what it used to be. The two most popular sub-forums on [ms] have had a grand total of 9 posts in all of today. I think it's time for the site to head for "stage exit left"...
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
  • progressive420
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Re: Time for Goodbye?

Please dont take this site away from us. This is the ultimate forum for discussing quality underground dance music!
    "Always........Dancing in My Mind"

Comment

• Zover
      Banned
      • Mar 2014

TBH most music forms are on their back, Tranceaddict, Bedrock, etc all have little traffic. Soundcloud has played a key part of it. I used soulseek for the first time in years, with increased bandwidth it's not the hassle it was years ago.

Comment

• floridaorange
        I'm merely a humble butler
        • Dec 2005

Kamal, it's ultimately up to you, but is it possible for someone else to take over, if they wanted to? Like maybe re-brand it and keep it going or something, that way the members who wanted to stay could do so? Or something like that.

I do think this board could flourish, it just needs sort of a general reset I think. All members post counts get reset, and sour relationships and attitudes get reset and we all just kind of start fresh. because I do think there are new members that get turned off by the old members bullshit. Myself included. It's like a bar full of local old assholes who scare off any new patrons from joining in . I could be completely wrong, just a few flections from my flat really.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• klangfabrik
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2009

don't shut down, but what about some kind of face-lift?
          i mainly (only) use p&r and GYY. i think it really would help reducing the sub-forums. same with cattaneo/sasha/warren. lets all put them into p&r except transitions imho. i think chunky already made that proposal as well.

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

Before shutting down I would suggest downsizing as above. Back to basics. We only need GYY, P&R, and Movies, etc. DJs don't need subforums, they can be tagged by name and there can be some kinda search function that searches by tags so it only displays the DJs we're looking for. Otherwise just plain old text search. Put the subforums up to a vote. MS is way larger than it needs to be.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
            a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Originally posted by m1sT3rL
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• klangfabrik
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2009

2 forums would be enough imo,

[MS] Life (for topics movies, politics, sports, computers, digital as well)
              [MS] Music (+ subforum transitions)

keep it simple

Comment

• go0gle
                Platinum Poster
                • Jan 2007

I personally find this board essential for the musical aspect of my life.. and not only.. its a really cool community overall I wasn't around at it's peak, but.. I still see a lot of value here.

What can we do to keep it going ?

Simplifying it a bit sounds like a good idea...

Comment

• Krystyan
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Oct 2004

I don't have facebook... this is one of the 10 sites I visit daily, more than once... The movies section really lifted up and the GYY as always...

FO said, it's completely up to you of course... reducing it could helpful... the Parties section makes no sense anymore...Djing and Production... All the music part except P&R...

Some months ago we were complaining about the constant trolling, now there are less thread but at least they stay focused...
                  https://www.facebook.com/YEGworld

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jan 2014

the catfished article didn't exactly boost 'forum morale'.... haha

maybe it's just a phase? idk... some good suggestions offered.

have to say, would miss it if it was gone! so my vote = NO, Kamal

too funny FL included a post count reset among suggestions... that cracked me up

Comment

• unkle
                      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                      • Mar 2007

As progressive said, this is one of the last quality forum
                      to discuss and share music, would be a shame a really
                      shame if it falls. there Must be a good solution to keep this up.

Comment

• ddr
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

No, definitely not time for a good bye.

Just because this forum isn't the GYY hopping place it used to be, people still get value from this board outside of that specific sub-forum. Speaking for myself of course, I visit this forum at least 4x/day.. specifically in the P&R music forum and also GYY occasionally.

I do agree with the majority, it does need a bit of a scale back and possibly a facelift.... maybe going back to the roots of it all: Music. We began with AudioGalaxy/Soulseek... it was always about the music.

Face it... we all grew up, lol. A lot of us were single and/or in college while [ms] was flourishing. Personally, I just don't have the time to post as much as I would like unfortunately so I end up just visiting a few key threads for music and call it good.

Mixcloud and Soundcloud are great for music but I still find things being posted here that I cannot seem to find anywhere else... that is kind of priceless imo.
                        "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• floridaorange
                          I'm merely a humble butler
                          • Dec 2005

DEF NOT TIME TO SAY GOODNIGHT EITHER!

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• hypoluxxa
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jun 2004

Noooooooooooooooo please!! I still come here and I am not friends with many here on facebook.... This is my last link to a very happy time of my life.

Comment

• feather
                              Shanghai ooompa loompa
                              • Jul 2004

Maybe it's a matter of perception. The community has matured and the forum reflects that, besides the trolling. A lot of us have been with each other, through the board, through some tough times. And all of us have grown together over the years, a few sharing photos of their children. In a medium that is constantly changing, ever more young and sensationalistic, why not let this place age naturally and gracefully. MS will be the old friend who is always by my side whenever I want to turn my head to say something (even if you people don't care what I have to say). I imagine there will be one day when, perhaps I bump into Digweed on the streets, or I introduce my hypothetical child to Northern Exposure, I might want to share a moment that only MS would appreciate, and be quite sad that MS is no more.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

Working...