X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zover
    Banned
    • Mar 2014

Private Schools

I'm considering putting my kids into Private School. They are still young, but I would like my kids to have the best education. The fees are expensive by I think going for a 30 child classroom to an 8 child classroom would be better. Anyone here have children in private school?
  • jay813
    Platinum Poster
    • May 2005

Re: Private Schools

no private school. there are public alternatives in case we feel that the school my 5 yr old is about to start isnt cutting it.

Comment

• tiddles
      Encryption, Jr.
      • Jun 2004

best thing my parents did for me was send me to private elem school.

Comment

• floridaorange
        I'm merely a humble butler
        • Dec 2005

probably depends on the kid. some kids thrive in public schools others do better in a private school. It's certainly and interesting topic. I didn't realize you had kids, cool. How old are they? I guess part of an education is getting a well rounded experience, preparing them for the world. Private schools here tend to be 95% white and wealthy, which is not what America is like, so it can be some what of a bubble. But then again, if the public school options are not good, then I can understand it.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• dusk
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

My daughter is not in a private school, she is however in a Catholic school with about 15 kids in her class.. she loves it. If you can afford it... 8 kids vs 30 is win win.
          ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• KiwiTollway
            Platinum Poster
            • Jan 2014

I went to private school until 4th grade & was shocked how little actual work they did (& expected) in public school, how stifling the atmosphere was, & how awful the teachers were; public schools shuffle kids around like cattle & and warp any creativity or individuality right out of them, imo.

Give your kids the finest education you can afford while you can afford it because sometimes that changes. Do what you believe is best for your child and don't listen to what anyone else says.

Comment

• Micko
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Oct 2004

I'm about to send my eldest into an Educate Together school - a public school but not centred around the catholic church - times are changing in Ireland and I'm glad to be part of the change. Class size is about 30 but I've a really good feeling about the place.

It's a big decision for sure fella - how much are you talking for private school

Comment

• Hoff
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Aug 2009

installed education worldwide already expired,
                It is one of the biggest culprits of today's world as it is, and people are still nursing the same because they are afraid to connect with his real being

precisely the aim of that education system is keeping people in fear

fully controlled, zero creative, humans like sheeps totally dependent from the consumption system

check this if you can,
                or better make the time because it´s important The Forbidden Education subtitled English (Movie HD) - La Educación Prohibida - YouTube

Originally posted by Micko
                I'm about to send my eldest into an Educate Together school - a public school but not centred around the catholic church - times are changing in Ireland and I'm glad to be part of the change. Class size is about 30 but I've a really good feeling about the place.

It's a big decision for sure fella - how much are you talking for private school
                hey ambientFiend, nice what you´re saying there, super for your family, and loving this "I'm glad to be part of the change"

please micko check with your lady that documentary in full mode, there are always alternatives

Comment

• DIDI
                  Aussie Pest
                  • Nov 2004

Public schools are as good as the public make them . Even though they are not funded well here, some of the top schools are public. In fact the two that are consistently first and second every year are public schools. The kids from these two schools are many and varied , but the one thing most have in common is that they are a joy to know. People buy houses in the area of good schools, and pay a premium. They have done studies and it's not all about class number unless of course classes are ridiculously overcrowded. Also because public schools have to take everyone the kids are exposed to a much broader range of the population they tend to be more rounded.

Once children go to university it is the public school kids who do best. The private school kids tend to get everything handed to them them on a platter. That doesn't happen at University.

I tend to think you either put in money , or effort to help your local public school. If I was looking for a school now I would be looking at the best public schools .
                  Originally posted by TheVrk
                  it IS incredible isn't it??
                  STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                  Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                  The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Micko

Sounds good.
                    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• floridaorange
                      I'm merely a humble butler
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by DIDI
                      Public schools are as good as the public make them . Even though they are not funded well here, some of the top schools are public. In fact the two that are consistently first and second every year are public schools. The kids from these two schools are many and varied , but the one thing most have in common is that they are a joy to know. People buy houses in the area of good schools, and pay a premium. They have done studies and it's not all about class number sunless of course classes are ridiculously overcrowded. Also because public schools have to take everyone the kids are exposed to a much broader range of the population they tend to be more rounded.

Once children go to university it is the public school kids who do best. The private school kids tend to get everything handed to them them on a platter. That doesn't happen at University.

I tend to think you either put in money , or effort to help your local public school. If I was looking for a school now I would be looking at the best public schools .
                      this is spot on.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jan 2014

I couldn't DISagree more with what Didi and Orange say. Given they haven't actually sent their kids to any school, it's mainly speculation & from my experience, an idealistic point of view.

Here, there is a public school (at every stage) for every neighborhood. Rich neighborhoods have rich/high-tech schools, poorer neighborhoods have needy schools and ALL the parents put forth effort & money to make their schools better. The schools are run by taxes so whether it's public or private, you're paying.

Still, it depends on the area, the child, and whether or not the parents are making an effort to provide a "well rounded individual" who is exposed to different cultures and people, which can also occur through churches, activities, sports, etc. The school you attend is not the be-all, end-all and you can't paint a broad stroke and say "kids from private schools are this way, while kids from public schools are that way" that's just absurd. You might think you're buying a house in a good area with a good school, paying the premium and then the city changes the zones to open up to other areas OR the "good" school is poorly run and hires teachers who don't care.

There are far too many variables to paint with a broad stroke. AND a person is developed not only by the school they attend, the sports they play, or the activities they do after school. A person is developed by a variety of things in their life. Yes, it's not all about class size but if your child requires a different method of learning than most, better to have a teacher not spreading her time across 30+ kids where that child gets lost. Public schools start off teaching 3 main things to your child 1) how to walk in a line with the other kids without being disruptive 2) how to sit at your desk without being disruptive 3) how to do what you're told without being disruptive & The bonus: how to color within the lines. It's 90% behavior adjustment in a public school setting and 10% learning and they are there for many hours. Public schools in the U.S. are about test scores and performance marks. Private schools nurture the individual's strengths and helps them better with their weaknesses because the majority of the teachers are there because they care about learning, not about test scores or the latest public-school politics.

Now in some areas, there are top public schools here too, but very, very few. ALL schools depend on parents (public & private)... only in private (because you're paying an actual tuition) you have some leverage in what goes on that you don't have in public schools. and there are some horrible things that go on these days in public schools. Our kids go to good public schools with a wide, wide variety of kids (rich, poor, and middle) and each one has told me their main goal is to survive it... most teachers don't care, don't have the time, and do things strictly by the book or as told by the district/state. There's zero creativity, thinking outside the box, etc.

Put some kids thru school, then tell us how it is. Instead of driving fancy cars and living in a prestigious neighborhood. invest in your childs' well-being (especially when they're really young) & education and save yourself much headaches later. Public schools are nightmares these days... this is the internet age, it's not like when you were in school.

end of rant

Comment

• DIDI
                          Aussie Pest
                          • Nov 2004

"Given they haven't actually sent their kids to any school"

"Put some kids thru school, then tell us how it is. Instead of driving fancy cars and living in a prestigious neighborhood. invest in your childs' well-being (especially when they're really young) & education and save yourself much headaches later. Public schools are nightmares these days... this is the internet age, it's not like when you were in school."

This is downright insulting . Both to me personally and to many great public schools.

Once again you make assumptions And there seem to be a lot more in your post

Comment

• DIDI
                            Aussie Pest
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by KiwiTollway
                            I couldn't DISagree more with what Didi and Orange say. Given they haven't actually sent their kids to any school, it's mainly speculation & from my experience, an idealistic point of view.

Here, there is a public school (at every stage) for every neighborhood. Rich neighborhoods have rich/high-tech schools, poorer neighborhoods have needy schools and ALL the parents put forth effort & money to make their schools better. The schools are run by taxes so whether it's public or private, you're paying.

Still, it depends on the area, the child, and whether or not the parents are making an effort to provide a "well rounded individual" who is exposed to different cultures and people, which can also occur through churches, activities, sports, etc. The school you attend is not the be-all, end-all and you can't paint a broad stroke and say "kids from private schools are this way, while kids from public schools are that way" that's just absurd. You might think you're buying a house in a good area with a good school, paying the premium and then the city changes the zones to open up to other areas OR the "good" school is poorly run and hires teachers who don't care.

There are far too many variables to paint with a broad stroke. AND a person is developed not only by the school they attend, the sports they play, or the activities they do after school. A person is developed by a variety of things in their life. Yes, it's not all about class size but if your child requires a different method of learning than most, better to have a teacher not spreading her time across 30+ kids where that child gets lost. Public schools start off teaching 3 main things to your child 1) how to walk in a line with the other kids without being disruptive 2) how to sit at your desk without being disruptive 3) how to do what you're told without being disruptive & The bonus: how to color within the lines. It's 90% behavior adjustment in a public school setting and 10% learning and they are there for many hours. Public schools in the U.S. are about test scores and performance marks. Private schools nurture the individual's strengths and helps them better with their weaknesses because the majority of the teachers are there because they care about learning, not about test scores or the latest public-school politics.

Now in some areas, there are top public schools here too, but very, very few. ALL schools depend on parents (public & private)... only in private (because you're paying an actual tuition) you have some leverage in what goes on that you don't have in public schools. and there are some horrible things that go on these days in public schools. Our kids go to good public schools with a wide, wide variety of kids (rich, poor, and middle) and each one has told me their main goal is to survive it... most teachers don't care, don't have the time, and do things strictly by the book or as told by the district/state. There's zero creativity, thinking outside the box, etc.

Put some kids thru school, then tell us how it is. Instead of driving fancy cars and living in a prestigious neighborhood. invest in your childs' well-being (especially when they're really young) & education and save yourself much headaches later. Public schools are nightmares these days... this is the internet age, it's not like when you were in school.

end of rant
                            Just to make sure we don't lose it

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by DIDI
                              Public schools are as good as the public make them.
                              This seems logical, I know, but it's just not true. "The public" have very little say in what occurs in a public school. They are city-run, state-accountable, government accountable, and parents are at the bottom of the totem pole, yet these are OUR kids having to go to schools with other kids whose parents couldn't give a damn. Like Hoff said, they instill so much FEAR into your child from day 1, you'd be appalled. You watch helplessly as they are exposed to the way many kids are raised & heartless teachers, and watch their little minds just cave, lost in the midst of being controlled, squelched, & manipulated, pressured.

If you have the wealth to go private, go private and nurture those young minds while they're still malleable. "Broader range" of population does not equal a well-rounded individual.

Public schools nowadays are policed, all day, every day.. they have to be. It's not a place for learning... it's something to survive, something you "get through." I think that's really sad.

Comment

Working...