X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

The most racially tolerant countries

Interesting, and article makes some good points. We think racism is bad in the U.S. But clearly it's worse elsewhere

A fascinating map of the worlds most and least racially tolerant countries - The Washington Post

It was fun while it lasted...
  • el presidente Highsteppa
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Re: The most racially tolerant countries

I call bullshit on the idea that Canada on that chart is in the 0% to 4.9% color coding.

We're at a tail end of an election here and there has been some pretty unspeakably racist shit being spouted by the incumbent party. They tried to make an issue over two people who wanted to express their freedom of religion by wearing a niquab to a Citizenship's Oath ceremony (they still have completed every other part of the Citizenship requirements according to spec, they simply wish to wear it to what is largely a symbolic ceremony and holds no bearing on their accomplishments in becoming complying with the citizenship requirements). The current government even went so far as to set up a snitch phone line to report what they deem as "barbaric cultural practices" and left that term wide open for interpretation.

Then there's the Aboriginal issue that we're dealing with - over 1,000 deaths/missing people/murders that are unsolved in these communities and the Prime Minister has literally said that he wasn't concerned, and that "it wasn't even on his radar". Meanwhile, one individual with a history of mental illness who declared allegiance in a Youtube video attacked the Parliament building (and did kill two people) caused them to pass a bill that rivals the U.S. Patriot Act with legislation allowing surveillance and suspension of the Canadian Bill of Rights (we call it the Charter of Rights and Freedoms) in vague terms that could be applied to anyone that has a dissenting opinion with the government in power, ripe for abuse. Islamophobia got ramped up to crazy levels here, going so far as passing legislation that allows for the revoking of citizenship towards anyone deemed a threat to the country.

Mind you that article is from 2013 - there's a lot that's happened here in the last two years.
    Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫

Comment

• floridaorange
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
      I call bullshit on the idea that Canada on that chart is in the 0% to 4.9% color coding.

Mind you that article is from 2013 - there's a lot that's happened here in the last two years.
      The 2013 part did make me do a double take mentally about how things have been these past 2 years, but in comparison to other countries, I don't know. Social change is said to happen very slowly.

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

We're at a tail end of an election here and there has been some pretty unspeakably racist shit being spouted by the incumbent party. They tried to make an issue over two people who wanted to express their freedom of religion by wearing a niquab to a Citizenship's Oath ceremony (they still have completed every other part of the Citizenship requirements according to spec, they simply wish to wear it to what is largely a symbolic ceremony and holds no bearing on their accomplishments in becoming complying with the citizenship requirements). The current government even went so far as to set up a snitch phone line to report what they deem as "barbaric cultural practices" and left that term wide open for interpretation.

Then there's the Aboriginal issue that we're dealing with - over 1,000 deaths/missing people/murders that are unsolved in these communities and the Prime Minister has literally said that he wasn't concerned, and that "it wasn't even on his radar". Meanwhile, one individual with a history of mental illness who declared allegiance in a Youtube video attacked the Parliament building (and did kill two people) caused them to pass a bill that rivals the U.S. Patriot Act with legislation allowing surveillance and suspension of the Canadian Bill of Rights (we call it the Charter of Rights and Freedoms) in vague terms that could be applied to anyone that has a dissenting opinion with the government in power, ripe for abuse. Islamophobia got ramped up to crazy levels here, going so far as passing legislation that allows for the revoking of citizenship towards anyone deemed a threat to the country.

Call bullshit on Australia too. We have the same sort of problems here .

Good luck with getting rid of Harper.
        Originally posted by TheVrk
        it IS incredible isn't it??
        STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
        Simply does not get any better than Hernan
        The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DIDI
          Call bullshit on Australia too. We have the same sort of problems here .

Good luck with getting rid of Harper.
          Hey, if you guys down under can toss that twit Tony Abbot (congratulations btw), we can ditch Harper.

He recently had Rob Ford, the crack smoking former mayor of Toronto endorse him at a couple of rallies over the last week - for a guy that's platforming on tough on crime/anti marijuana, this was a desperation play, as he was losing by 6 points yesterday.

And the results are coming in now - looking like Harper's going to get tossed.
          Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

Unfortunately we still have all the policies etc just a much smoother operator , and people are buying the snake oil by the gallon.
            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• DIDI
              Aussie Pest
              • Nov 2004

Hey, if you guys down under can toss that twit Tony Abbot (congratulations btw), we can ditch Harper.

He recently had Rob Ford, the crack smoking former mayor of Toronto endorse him at a couple of rallies over the last week - for a guy that's platforming on tough on crime/anti marijuana, this was a desperation play, as he was losing by 6 points yesterday.

And the results are coming in now - looking like Harper's going to get tossed.
              And he has done it !! Congratulations !! I am so envious

Comment

• thebanned1
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • May 2009

~GB blue my arse, people have been lying
                How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

^^^^^^^

Well, how many peeps actually respond "Hell yeah! I'm racist!"?

I'd like to see what the questioning and the criteria was to come up with the results.

Comment

• floridaorange
                    • Dec 2005

Further insight from an Ethnic Conflict Professor... this made sense to me:

5 insights on the racial tolerance and ethnicity maps, from an ethnic conflict professor - The Washington Post

Saideman offers this: "In societies that have very little diversity, there is no opportunity for [ethnic] violence. For societies where there is a great deal, there is no threat of dominance. But in places where there are a few groups that rival each other, then the threats they pose to each other or at least one to the others can be severe. Ethnic violence may not be about fractionalization/diversity but about polarization."
                    (4)
                    Ethnic conflict comes from "concentration," not "fractionalization." Here's where Saideman really shows off his expertise. "The one consistent finding for ethnic conflict is not about fractionalization but about group concentration," he writes. "That where ethnic groups have distinct areas apart from each other within a country, there is more conflict. Why? Well, partly because it facilitates separatism. Partly because groups that are separate have a secure base from which to launch attacks. Partly because intermingled groups may be deterred from attacking since they themselves are vulnerable (kind of like mutual assured destruction)."

Comment

Working...