X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NastyD
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Too Much Music

The internet is brilliant. Every week I download several hundred megabytes of mixes and try to listen to them. I'm pretty picky when it comes to downloading because there's so much out there but even then I'm a constant 4 months behind.

At the moment I'm listening to Solomun's Global Underground for probably about the third time ever and it's brilliant. I've got all of this old music: mixes, Renaissance, GU, Fabic, Cream, Balance, artist albums, 20 year old stuff I still like, the list goes on - and I never listen to it because the damned internet gives so much access to great new stuff.

Can I say right that's enough - I've got enough music? I don't think so.
    An ounce of image is worth a pound of performance.
  • DIDI
    Aussie Pest
    • Nov 2004

Re: Too Much Music

^^^ I know exactly how you feel. My standards are really high, refuse to even listen to anything under 320. Won't listen to anything on Soundcloud that I can't download. Never list to Mixcloud for that reason. You get one listen and then trashed unless I want to play it again straight away and I still keep finding stuff I want to keep.

I do listen to older stuff. I even play my old vinyl from time to time. In fact I have played the first LP I ever bought recently One good thing about working for yourself is that you can play as much music as you want, and as loud as you want

This is one of the great things about technology today, unfortunately instead of being grateful so many people just get greedier and expect everything for nothing. I am definitely grateful
    Originally posted by TheVrk
    it IS incredible isn't it??
    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• unkle
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • Mar 2007

We are living great moments of music.
      Since a couple of years, great tracks, great sets,
      a lot of new producers, There are a lot of things to hear.
      I hope the quality keep growing through the years.

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by unkle
        We are living great moments of music.
        Since a couple of years, great tracks, great sets,
        a lot of new producers, There are a lot of things to hear.
        I hope the quality keep growing through the years.
        Particularly from Argentina
        STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• Illuminate
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Aug 2009

Interesting comment, particularly on availability and the tremendous catalogues of 'free' and instantaneous click to listen. I would agree that the thrill of a special edition CD release has lost its touch and listening to vinyl’s would be a special moment for those that have time to sit down and thoroughly enjoy it.

But this doesn’t only span to the electronic genre, but all genres; availability, the sheer number of artists, unlimited means of distribution and promotion all caters for the listener to have access to the greatest music we have ever been made available to.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
          Sbando
          - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
          Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
          Bob
          "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
          the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
          KiwiTollway

Comment

• diegoff
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

and also:

listen to the music from the past. I´ve been listening to great records of great bands from the 60s-70s that when I was a teenager they were unaviable for us (at least, here in Argentina)
            It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
            Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
            May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

I think too much of anything is a common refrain in our age of digital excess and crap.

What I really miss are the holes in set lists and white labels, and the times when MSers would gather in a thread for a listening party of something live, like a special Essential Mix. Or when my friend and I would cue up an MP3 and hit play at the same time while we have an IRC chat window open. Those were special times.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• DIDI
                Aussie Pest
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Illuminate
                Interesting comment, particularly on availability and the tremendous catalogues of 'free' and instantaneous click to listen. I would agree that the thrill of a special edition CD release has lost its touch and listening to vinyl’s would be a special moment for those that have time to sit down and thoroughly enjoy it.

But this doesn’t only span to the electronic genre, but all genres; availability, the sheer number of artists, unlimited means of distribution and promotion all caters for the listener to have access to the greatest music we have ever been made available to.
                Except that there is so much crap to sift through So it's not so accessible.

Btw Good to see you here

Comment

• chuckc
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

any recommendations you would like to post

Comment

• trick12
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jul 2007

honestly curve is going down for me, i listen to whats a must listen in the new stuff like a hernan BM...and much stuff of UK peeps...

but i enjoy the most now the more mellow eclectic mixes...

too much stuff sounds the same now for some reason, very few mixes that come by and think man this has to be on repeat
                    Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• unrecogniseduser
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

Somehow I've gone back against this and now only buy vinyl. Part of the thrill i guess is that it takes a bit of time and effort to find and buy great tunes.

That said I do listen to lots of sets on line, but only really to pass the time while i'm working
                      motherlover

Comment

• unkle
                        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by trick12

too much stuff sounds the same now for some reason, very few mixes that come by and think man this has to be on repeat

Thats the problem with the mass productions,
                        when the quantity exceeds the quality.
                        The big disaster of Trance music in 1999.

Comment

Working...