• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thebanned1
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • May 2009

Re: Fear the end is near...

Originally posted by Kamal
    As all good things come to an end, I fear [ms] has lived its life.

The webhosting is hemorrhaging funds and I dont know if [ms] will be alive beyond a couple of months. If some miracle happens in the interim, we may survive it but with a lot of things going on in my life personally, I don't have the time to dedicate to either anymore.

All I can say is thank you to those made this place what it used to be. It's been a fun ride.
    to be honest i've kind of guessed this was coming for a long time, it's going to be sad to see it go but all good things sometimes come to an end at one point..

should really thank yourself kamal for putting up with us for so long, i know that's not been easy at times ( no comment )

we should organize a place where everyone can drop in and say hello sometimes...
    How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• TomTom
      Paging Doctor Weeds...we have a shortage on 1st St.
      • May 2002

All good things must come to an end. I am very glad to have witnessed and accompanied the heyday and peak time of this website and I am proud of what we, the people behind the scenes and the active part of the community, have achieved together.

It's sad to see this site go away completely but I left it Years ago already and I am glad my partner and long time friend Kamal kept it alive for all these Years. I had a blast and a great time on here and I will always have [ms] in my heart. And on a thousand of stickers I have still left from Mercuryserver and MCast.

Comment

• GarryX
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Apr 2006

Is there anyone or anyway the site can be taken on by some other people?

I mean, we can try and chip in with some funds and someone with the technical knowledge to keep the site up to date?

I think sbando would be a great guy to have this roll if he has the time to do so?

Certainly would like a place for us all to keep [ms] alive in some capacity

Comment

• Kamal
          Administrator
          • May 2002

It costs $165 a month for the server, I could certainly downsize but then performance and space will take a hit, all the sets we host will likely disappear because MS alone is over 200 GB in size.
          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
          he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
          Originally posted by ace_dl
          Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
          I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

I could close out the thread with this. Tear-jerker Mikey

Originally posted by MJ
            When I was young my whole life revolved around music, nights out with friends and posting on this here site. I'd travel far and wide to feed my appetite for the repetitive beat, sometimes staying awake for 2 or 3 days traveling between different cities just to get my fix. My love of music was insatiable. Music, music music, was there anything else?

I flew to Miami on my own to spend a week with people from this board whom, apart from the thousands of posts and the odd phone call, I didn't really know. For 7 days we partied, for 7 days I had the time of my life. I still have very fond and vivid memories of every single person I met that week and from time to time I dig out the Jibbed, Pickled and Mullered in Miami thread just to put a smile on my face.

I'd like to think that I gave back to this site as much as I took out of the 10 years I was a regular. Some of you may know that I used to produce the jingles that Tom would layer over the sets that were available. My happiest moment has to be Mr Digweed himself playing a set on his show and my West Yorkshire vocal tones popped up several times throughout. If only he knew who it was when I was stood next to him in the bathroom one Bedrock night in London.

Many people have put an awful lot of time, effort and money into MS and it would be a very sad day when and if this place is assigned to the dungeons of the cyber world scrap heap. Non less so than Tom and Kamal. I worked behind the scenes with those two for a long time and and I can tell you first hand that their commitment and dedication was and still is inspiring. Hats off to you guys.

But now we've grown up, now we have lives that don't include getting ready at 6 o'clock to drive 100 miles to see our favourite dj and then spend the next few days recovering. Now we look forward to eating out with the wives and getting up early on a Sunday morning to go watch our young kids play football for their local team. Our spare time is filled with helping our children with their homework instead of posting on message boards.

The love of the music has changed but the love for the music is still there.

I couldn't possibly thank everyone by name I have had conversations with here so I'll say this. You know who you are, both those that are still with us, and those that are not. Thank you.

Long live [MS]

MJ
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• unrecogniseduser
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

It's all $ and cents. Some of the largest paying clients on the hosting have left cause peeps don't have the disposable income they used to. Folks growing up, starting families, etc.....the game's just not what it used to be.
              how about an MS facebook group? This requires no maintainance basically and people can still share sets and talk about music...
              motherlover

Comment

• thebanned1
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • May 2009

there already is one and it's a graveyard plus there are people who don't use facebook

Originally posted by unrecogniseduser
                how about aa MS facebook group?
                How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• Troklo
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

I think a FB group would be the most viable alternative, needs little to no maintenance.

That said, I can understand that this might be the time to call it quits. HUGE hats off to Kamal, Tom, MJ and all the others that made this amazing site possible. This place has shaped my taste in music, gave me friends for life and been a source for laughs through out the years. I'll always be grateful for that.
                  Quiero brincar al agua para caer al cielo

Comment

• sbando
                    Going back to Romford
                    • Apr 2008

It costs $165 a month for the server, I could certainly downsize but then performance and space will take a hit, all the sets we host will likely disappear because MS alone is over 200 GB in size.
                    I say let's do it, it's better to re-host our sets (I have plenty of disk-space - bandwidth is a different story though).

We could leave the forum as it is or even more downsized and do our best to pay any server costs.

FB is an acceptable alternative as long as people stay away from its trappings and only use it for MS.
                    ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                    ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                    ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*
                    ╚══`.¸. ...:::.(¯`•\|/•´¯) ☆*゚

Comment

• Kamal
                      Administrator
                      • May 2002

An [ms] FB page has been in place forever, no one ever visits it. Plus the posting of sets will be a bitch for those who are genuinely still into the music.
                      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• sbando
                        Going back to Romford
                        • Apr 2008

Costs for the forum pages would be less than a third of what you're paying now.
                        ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                        ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                        ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*

Comment

• Kamal
                          Administrator
                          • May 2002

Yes but there are still other paying clients on the webhosting and we cant even make a third of our costs. I'm gonna have to let a lot of clients go.
                          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• sbando
                            Going back to Romford
                            • Apr 2008

I see. Restarting from scratch somewhere else, could it be a solution?
                            ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                            ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                            ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*

Comment

• feather
                              Shanghai ooompa loompa
                              • Jul 2004

It looks like most of the sets today are upped to file sharing sites, and there is probably not a lot of downloads of [ms] hosted archives?

Can we have a forum the way it is now, without hosting the sets? That will surely reduce the load by a lot.

Wasn't there another time when [ms] was gonna shut and some people downloaded the archived sets?

Anyway what I'm trying to say is, as long as some of us have the sets, they can be upped to file sharing sites on request, and we essentially only need the forum software hosted.

Originally posted by sbando
                              I see. Restarting from scratch somewhere else, could it be a solution?
                              Yeah if MJ Hosting's shutting is why [ms] has to go, surely we can find a different hosting.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                                Are you Kidding me??
                                • Nov 2013

Looks like the Howells project will get finished at Bobbies. It won't be the same, but maybe it is time for change.

Comment

Working...