• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AchtungBaby!
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Feb 2009

Re: All about Buenos Aires !!

Originally posted by diegoff
    ^ if you make time for some fresh air, go north. San Isidro and Tigre are beautiful places to spend some time by the river.
    This is absolutely a must for sure (1 hour or so from the city itself tho).. Costanera Sur is ok (if i´m right you already know Puerto Madero area which is top notch and close to the reserve) but north is waaaaay better.. But again, in 7 weeks you have enough time to do both more than once.

Buenos Aires is a great city

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• DIDI
      Aussie Pest
      • Nov 2004

For Connect ?? No I don't at the moment. Just checked the Teatro Colon site , nothing there yet. I'm pretty sure Hernan will put it up on his Facebook. Although he only has one of the Australia tour dates up so far.
      Originally posted by TheVrk
      it IS incredible isn't it??
      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by AchtungBaby!
        This is absolutely a must for sure (1 hour or so from the city itself tho).. Costanera Sur is ok (if i´m right you already know Puerto Madero area which is top notch and close to the reserve) but north is waaaaay better.. But again, in 7 weeks you have enough time to do both more than once.

Buenos Aires is a great city
        I know very little about any of the city except for the walking I did there when I came over for Moonpark. What I saw was incredibly interesting for me and I have wanted to come back ever since, not just for the music. I am really looking forward to it !!
        STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

More advice needed. I would like to take some proper photos, no phone, but have heard some nasty stories about good cameras being stolen. In one case from around someones neck.

Is this sort of thing true. ??

I should say when I was in London a little while ago there was a spate of bike riders snatching phone from hands.

Comment

• max420
            Addiction started
            • Jul 2007

Argentina 2016 Crime & Safety Report

I went to a pearl jam show by myself about 25 km's south of B.A. against the advice of most of my local aquaintances and after getting into a taxi to go back to my hotel ended up in my jocks minus everything else that I had on me under a freeway in Quilmes and i'm 190 cm's and 130 kgs. I think if your not trolling you need to have a realistic view of your potential to be a victim of crime in B.A. It's a significant risk.

Comment

• DIDI
              Aussie Pest
              • Nov 2004

^^^Why would I be trolling ?? , was a serious question. that I asked so I would have a realistic view. Thanks for the info though.

Wow!! I was lucky when I went to Moonpark. Stood on the side of the road for 1 1/2 hours before I got a cab and still got home in one piece when I did.

Comment

• diegoff
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

^ I live here, I love my country, but let me tell you this: move around touristic spots, or commercial spots in the city. Clubs (and that moonpark you went to) are in those spots, too.
                Always take care of your belongings... don´t walk around with your cellphone in your hand, or your cammera around your neck. At night, don´t use dark streets. If it´s late, take a cab.

Not to panic, but be a little more careful than you´d do in any other country.
                It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• DIDI
                  Aussie Pest
                  • Nov 2004

^^Ok so not taking the good camera
                  I am always careful, don't want to spoil my own fun

Comment

• Krystyan
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by DIDI
                    ^^Ok so not taking the good camera
                    I am always careful, don't want to spoil my own fun
                    yes to this.
                    You just need to be careful. Even using Uber is the best option.

San Telmo is the best place to stay if you are into antiques... but it's the old part of the city and it's dark and it could be a bit dodgy...
                    Try Palermo.. there's a lot of movement, all the time, it's full of restaurants, bars, etc... and it's lovely during the day...

just my two cents.

how long r u staying?
                    https://www.facebook.com/YEGworld

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

^^ I am into antiques so I have just booked an apartment in San Telmo. !! I'm not really big on restaurants and bars. I'm almost teetotal. I fully intend to go to Palermo though. I believe it isn't that difficult with public transport.

I will be there for 7 weeks.

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Nov 2013

I would have loved to have done Pacha, but it looks like it has turned into a cheesy nightclub.

Comment

• psybangas
                          Platinum Poster
                          • May 2006

Some advice from fellow Aussie who's been there... Be vigilant! Whilst the allure of Buenos Aires "nocturnal diversions" present themselves in all sorts of occasions you'd be wise to take care some precautions.

Firstly, be money wise. You'll find holding US Dollars the safe bet since the Peso isn't the most stable fiat currency and even though places might not take your US Dollars, exchange houses or "cambinos" will exchange them for pesos including a exchange fee. That is to say, I found exchanging US Dollars problematic since counterfeiting is unfortunately a common problem for unsuspecting "gringos".

Next like any major capital city there's certain places to avoid being, especially at night. Do some research and you'll likely read in guidebooks the places I'm talking about. One place of mention is the "Congresso" that regularly see's political protests escalate to violent confrontations between protesters and police. You only need to read the news story: Buenos Aires protests: Police fire tear gas as violence breaks out over Argentina pension reform to get an idea that things can quickly turn south due to the legacy of Argentina's politics and checkered past.

You mentioned Palermo, that's certainly an interesting part of Buenos Aires and one that'll make for a strategic home base during your stay. I found working out where the convenience stores or "bodegas" are to be an invaluable tip. Knowing where to source supplies for your stay, and their opening hours, will make for a more comfortable experience. Likewise, trying to speak Spanish with people goes a long way and can help you overcome rude encounters with non-English speaking Porteņo's who aren't interested in trying to communicate.

This leads me to my next topic of advice - taxi drivers! You'll most likely have to catch taxi's to get around, especially late at night and after events. Things to be cautious of are; insist they use the taxi meter for the fare (negotiating a fixed price is not advised), check your notes (currency) drivers have been known to swap real notes for fakes when giving change. See here: fake money - Buenos Aires Forum - TripAdvisor for more tips about how to protect yourself from being scammed. I cannot stress how important it is to be careful with your money!

On a brighter note, whilst you say you're not into "touristy" things there are heaps of sights in and around Buenos Aires that you'll kick yourself if you don't visit. Some of mention are: visiting Basilica nuestra senora del pilar, seeing the grave of Eva Peron at the Recoleta cemetery, a photo in front of the Obelisk at Avenida 9 de Julio or La Casa Rosada (the Pink House), a meal at Gran Cafe Tortoni, or seeing a polo game are just some of the activities I can suggest doing (aside from nightclubbing etc).

Finally, if I can say one thing about Bahrein, it's unlikely that it's changed since I was there, but the basement room where I saw Martin Garcia play, like many venues around the world, is a fire/ death trap since there's only one way to get in/out and smoking is prohibited. I guess what I'm trying to say is be careful at venues, punters usually wear sunglasses by the way. Since most events start late, don't expect the place to start going off until after 4am and going well into the morning when those sunglasses will come in handy when you're herded out of the club like cattle by security and the light blinds you leaving the venue.

Oh final thing, if you do happen to fly anywhere in Argentina, be wary of flying Areolineas Argentina. You can read more about other's experiences here: debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN - Air Travel Forum - TripAdvisor Anyway, hope my advice helps and wish you all the best with your Argentinian adventure. I know it changed my life going there and surely will your's too!

Comment

• DIDI
                            Aussie Pest
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by psybangas
                            Anyway, hope my advice helps and wish you all the best with your Argentinian adventure. I know it changed my life going there and surely will your's too!
                            That is lovely , thank you !!

WOW!! That is comprehensive. Thank you again. !

I have been looking into the money thing and it is an issue. Not quite sure what to do about that. It seems if I want USD I would have to arrive with it.

I have just booked an apartment in San Telmo , which has a supermarket and laudromat next store. The markets around there look interesting as well.

Taxis, I am distrustful of taxi drivers every where About the worst I have found so far are Brisbane.

There are lots of things that I want to do and see, but maybe just not the more conventional touristy stuff, and definitely no photos of me anywhere Why would I want to spoil the view of beautiful places. ?? Definitely no tango

That bit about Bahrein reminded me of when I went to a club in Brixton and the cab driver asked me if I was sure I wanted to go there Do they drink much in the clubs ??

When I went to Moonpark in 2010 I flew Areolineas Argentina.

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Nov 2013

What club in Brixtion was it DiDi?

Comment

• DIDI
                                Aussie Pest
                                • Nov 2004

I can't remember the name that night, it was for Guy J and was the first time I has ever been really patted down until Budapest Airport last year It was a big club 2 big rooms side by side and was a tad rough I had booze all over me.

I saw Nick Warren @ The Prince of Wales in Brixton one year.

Comment

Working...