• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIDI
    Aussie Pest
    • Nov 2004

Re: All about Buenos Aires !!

Originally posted by psybangas
    This leads me to my next topic of advice - taxi drivers! You'll most likely have to catch taxi's to get around, especially late at night and after events. Things to be cautious of are; insist they use the taxi meter for the fare (negotiating a fixed price is not advised), check your notes (currency) drivers have been known to swap real notes for fakes when giving change. See here: fake money - Buenos Aires Forum - TripAdvisor for more tips about how to protect yourself from being scammed. I cannot stress how important it is to be careful with your money!

!
    I assumed this would be all about the change , didn't think of this .

Originally posted by TheVrk
    it IS incredible isn't it??
    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• diegoff
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

about the money thing: bring US dollars and change them to the people who will receive you at the apartment. They are usually into that. T markets and restaurants you can pay by credit card
      It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
      Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
      May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

^^Thank you.
        STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ♫♫♫♫♫♫
          What club in Brixtion was it DiDi?
          It was RA: Electronicsessions 10th Birthday - Guy J at Brixton Jamm, London (2016)

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by psybangas
            Some advice from fellow Aussie who's been there... Be vigilant! Whilst the allure of Buenos Aires "nocturnal diversions" present themselves in all sorts of occasions you'd be wise to take care some precautions.

Firstly, be money wise. You'll find holding US Dollars the safe bet since the Peso isn't the most stable fiat currency and even though places might not take your US Dollars, exchange houses or "cambinos" will exchange them for pesos including a exchange fee. That is to say, I found exchanging US Dollars problematic since counterfeiting is unfortunately a common problem for unsuspecting "gringos".

Next like any major capital city there's certain places to avoid being, especially at night. Do some research and you'll likely read in guidebooks the places I'm talking about. One place of mention is the "Congresso" that regularly see's political protests escalate to violent confrontations between protesters and police. You only need to read the news story: Buenos Aires protests: Police fire tear gas as violence breaks out over Argentina pension reform to get an idea that things can quickly turn south due to the legacy of Argentina's politics and checkered past.

You mentioned Palermo, that's certainly an interesting part of Buenos Aires and one that'll make for a strategic home base during your stay. I found working out where the convenience stores or "bodegas" are to be an invaluable tip. Knowing where to source supplies for your stay, and their opening hours, will make for a more comfortable experience. Likewise, trying to speak Spanish with people goes a long way and can help you overcome rude encounters with non-English speaking Porteńo's who aren't interested in trying to communicate.

This leads me to my next topic of advice - taxi drivers! You'll most likely have to catch taxi's to get around, especially late at night and after events. Things to be cautious of are; insist they use the taxi meter for the fare (negotiating a fixed price is not advised), check your notes (currency) drivers have been known to swap real notes for fakes when giving change. See here: fake money - Buenos Aires Forum - TripAdvisor for more tips about how to protect yourself from being scammed. I cannot stress how important it is to be careful with your money!

On a brighter note, whilst you say you're not into "touristy" things there are heaps of sights in and around Buenos Aires that you'll kick yourself if you don't visit. Some of mention are: visiting Basilica nuestra senora del pilar, seeing the grave of Eva Peron at the Recoleta cemetery, a photo in front of the Obelisk at Avenida 9 de Julio or La Casa Rosada (the Pink House), a meal at Gran Cafe Tortoni, or seeing a polo game are just some of the activities I can suggest doing (aside from nightclubbing etc).

Finally, if I can say one thing about Bahrein, it's unlikely that it's changed since I was there, but the basement room where I saw Martin Garcia play, like many venues around the world, is a fire/ death trap since there's only one way to get in/out and smoking is prohibited. I guess what I'm trying to say is be careful at venues, punters usually wear sunglasses by the way. Since most events start late, don't expect the place to start going off until after 4am and going well into the morning when those sunglasses will come in handy when you're herded out of the club like cattle by security and the light blinds you leaving the venue.

Oh final thing, if you do happen to fly anywhere in Argentina, be wary of flying Areolineas Argentina. You can read more about other's experiences here: debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN - Air Travel Forum - TripAdvisor Anyway, hope my advice helps and wish you all the best with your Argentinian adventure. I know it changed my life going there and surely will your's too!
            Very useful stuff here, it's good to have the opinion from your fellow Aussie.. and you seem to really know about what your talking

Now you don't have to be extremely wise about money like you should a few years back.. There is one and only one legal peso and you can exchange US dollars at any bank like you would do in any normal country. Even at the airport if you want.

About avoiding certain places, some research and most of all common sense, are highly recommended... Specially at night like any other major city.. What Diego and Krystian said are good advices, doing that you´ll be fine ..

Agree with all that you say about Palermo.. I don´t think you´ll have big problems with speaking english in that area. It all depends where you go..

I dont take much taxis but definitely something to be carefull. Being scammed is a real option (i´ve been scammed myself a few days back in Brazil lol) .. not very common but if you can grab taxis which can pay w/ credit card will be ideal.. specially when going long distances.. Forget about negotiating fees.

Agree with those spots you mention.. all of them.

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ♫♫♫♫♫♫
              I would have loved to have done Pacha, but it looks like it has turned into a cheesy nightclub.
              That´s true ... Those days of Hernan Residency are long gone

Already got the tickets for Hernan´s Connected btw .. can´t wait!

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by DIDI
                I will be there for Connected and until April 9
                when exactly you arrive? There is a good gig on Feb 3.. Luke Fair @ Desert in me.. lovely place and it goes from 16:00 to 23:00hs which makes it even better imo

Comment

• DIDI
                  Aussie Pest
                  • Nov 2004

^^ Won't be there and I am more of a night owl

Which Connected show will you be at??

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by diegoff
                    about the money thing: bring US dollars and change them to the people who will receive you at the apartment. They are usually into that. T markets and restaurants you can pay by credit card
                    It costs me to get US dollars here

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by DIDI
                      ^^ Won't be there and I am more of a night owl

Which Connected show will you be at??
                      Feb 22, 19hs

Comment

• Hoff
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Aug 2009

diii,
                        remember this Artemisia, cocina natural y orgnica en Palermo Hollywood
                        for some days there ; )), always good

I will be this in super relax mode at Colon

ujujujujjjjuuujjjjjujujuju

where are you uuunkkkkkkllllllleeeeeee

Comment

• Hoff
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Aug 2009

hey acthung
                          hernán was so Divineeee in punta de other day, full of vocals from all its history on the East
                          mental depeche at the beginning jujujujujujujjjj

Comment

• trick12
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Hoff

I will be this in super relax mode at Colon

ujujujujjjjuuujjjjjujujuju

fffffffftttttt

dopee ones
                            Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• trick12
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Jul 2007

enjoyyy diii...wud love to make it down this area oneday...eagle area
                              Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• Hoff
                                Are you Kidding me??
                                • Aug 2009

my humble opinion,
                                and I know what you like

try to go to martin in every place he´s playing, fckin far dj for dance inside those shadows

Comment

Working...