X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIDI
    Aussie Pest
    • Nov 2004

Yet another school Shooting.

How many school children will be slaughtered before the US realises they have to do something about the gun laws !!!

I am tired of crying for American children.
    Originally posted by TheVrk
    it IS incredible isn't it??
    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies
  • jay813
    Platinum Poster
    • May 2005

Re: Yet another school Shooting.

I agree with you- but since this is a place for discussion - i'll play devils advocate... (there's no easy answer to this without violating one of the founding constitutional amendments)

What sort of laws would you like to see the US enact? I've heard of talk of mirroring Australia's full gun ban policy. That won't ever happen so what should we do? hire more armed guards at schools?

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Feb 2009

If you are a politician and have nothing useful to say, just go sending "thoughts and prayers to the families" .. That shit seems to be enough while waiting for the next shooting .. then repeat.

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Nov 2013

Good job that they don't have a constitution that allows them to keep slaves.

Comment

• jay813
          Platinum Poster
          • May 2005

im assuming sarcasm here because they did allow for it but needed a constitutional amendment to change that. likely needed in this case to put some limits on the type of gun allowed as well as tighter restrictions on who can own guns.

this alone will not stop mass killing- as we know will just move to explosives, or driving vehicles into crowds. so do we focus on guns- or do we focus on what is causing men to commit these acts (mental illness).

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by jay813
            I agree with you- but since this is a place for discussion - i'll play devils advocate... (there's no easy answer to this without violating one of the founding constitutional amendments)

What sort of laws would you like to see the US enact? I've heard of talk of mirroring Australia's full gun ban policy. That won't ever happen so what should we do? hire more armed guards at schools?
            We don' have a full gun ban policy. Not even remotely close. So much can be done without touching your amendment. But it is a stupid anachronistic amendment so why keep it. ?? More guns is never the answer. As America so glaringly shows.
            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• DIDI
              Aussie Pest
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by jay813
              im assuming sarcasm here because they did allow for it but needed a constitutional amendment to change that. likely needed in this case to put some limits on the type of gun allowed as well as tighter restrictions on who can own guns.

this alone will not stop mass killing- as we know will just move to explosives, or driving vehicles into crowds. so do we focus on guns- or do we focus on what is causing men to commit these acts (mental illness).
              All of those things can be done without doing anything any amendment. You would all be carrying blunderbusses if they couldn't.

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                Platinum Poster
                • Jan 2014

I read he was on the Spectrum for Autism, diagnosed at age 11 and the school was on high alert because he tried to bring ammunition to school one day and got expelled. Loophole he even got into that school with a weapon. The moment I saw his picture, I said to my daughter "his facial features indicate a syndrome of some kind, maybe undiagnosed." then she read he was autistic. [my mom worked for decades with people with all kinds of severe mental/physical impairments in an institution and she brought some children home so they could experience what a normal daily life was like.]

He apparently killed animals when he was a child. His adoptive-mother just died in November, his step-dad died when he was 4, certainly no one was in tune with this teenager and didn't get him adequate help for sure. He had just gotten dumped by his gfriend and she was dating someone else on Valentine's Day. Some wrote he was a white-supremacist, but the majority of his victims were white so doubt that. Mental illness + lack of coping skills + lack of any proper parenting + weapon accessibility = disaster

And by the way, hello to everyone!!

Maybe America is heading towards online schooling or home schooling for teen years?

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Feb 2009

Just after an extremely quick research.. Between 1966-2012 there were 292 shootings worldwide.. 90 of them were in the US... From 2012 to 2018 dont know but to say the least, 1/3 of shootings in the past 50 years took place in one country..

Kinda those numbers speak for themselves...

If you want to make some sort of change something radical has to happen, even constitutionally speaking.. Imo, none of this will happen though, the political price is simply unapproachable on some many levels.

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

There is so much that can be done that could make a difference without any reference to the constitution . It would probably never be enough , but a lot of lives could be saved.

Btw A bit rich of Trump to go on about mental illness when he rewound Obama legislation that would have made it harder for people with mental illness to buy guns. See, it can be legislated.

Comment

• feather
                      Shanghai ooompa loompa
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DIDI
                      I am tired of crying for American children.
                      I used to, I remember being quite affected by Sandy Hook. Over the years I've kinda hardened my stance whenever I see this in the news.

Right now my social feeds are flooded by the usual reactionary shares: People sharing statistics, condemning the politicians who take money from the NRA, calling out Trump of course, but this seems pretty standard across any administration and incident.

This will probably be taken the wrong way but America deserves it. Not her people but America. But maybe in a way, the people too, indirectly, for voting and letting these people and organizations come to power. I mean, it isn't just the gun issue is it? Everything else that's happening in America that's shafting her people over from the inside out? The shootings are simply the more physical, visible, violent manifestations of the rot.

And unrelated to the above:

All this talk about violating constitutional rights is so BS. "The right to bear arms for the security of a free state" is surely a joke in 21st century America and some kinda grandstanding. I don't see anybody bearing their arms to free America or actually do anything except kill children, people, and animals.

When push comes to shove, WILL people actually bear arms to free the state? Because the state IS held, by the corporations.

21st century policies and politics in a developed economy will never come down to outright oppression that you overcome physically with arms. Do people actually think something like a French revolution will or can happen today because they have the freedom to bear arms?

Nup. The shafting is insidious, invisible, and creeps up on you until one day you're simply afraid to seek medical help or you realize your child is quite likely to die from very unnatural causes even before you've scrapped together enough money to provide him/her a future.

I don't see anyone changing that, let alone bear arms to affect the change.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• DIDI
                        Aussie Pest
                        • Nov 2004

^^ Very well said and very sad

Comment

• chuckc
                          DUDERZ get a life!!!
                          • Jun 2004

I just read that our Federal Law requires you to be 21 years of age to legally buy a handgun, but you only need to be 18 to buy an assault rifle. WTF!?!

Comment

• CircleGuy
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2010

us has a mental health crisis. needs better treatment for ppl

Comment

• ddr
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Jun 2004

Christianity, Guns, and Corporations are more important than human lives in our country.

America is a Corporate-run state.. it says something when the vast majority of the citizens want something but our Congress does the complete opposite, cant really deny the evidence.

What is even sadder is that a growing # of the population is getting numb to it all: "yea the government is fucked what what can I do about it? Who cares....I will just get drunk, do drugs, and forget about life until I work numbly tomorrow and repeat"

Trump is kind of a good thing for America as he is testing our democracy and our rights... but we are failing the test.

I do think that the vast majority of young American's (millennial's probably more so) are socially progressive, don't care much for religion, and want everyone to be treated equally. So it more or less a waiting game until the old timers die off.. just not sure if we can with stand it--seems pretty bad at the moment.
                              "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

Working...