• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: fabric mix series to end 'in its current form' at 100th instalment

Originally posted by ddr
    But really, once I rip them to 320 MP3, they go into the box only to be brought out maybe once a year...
    I did the same for nearly 20 years and kept moving the heavy boxes of about 600 CDs and 800 vinyls. When we decided to move 1800 miles across the country for a lifestyle change a little over a year ago I decided it was silly to keep all of those crates for that once a year trip down memory lane. Before we left St. Louis I gifted the 800 vinyls to a fellow DJ i'd known for years who still played out a lot, and dropped the 600 CDs off to GoodwillI and kept four CDs out of the entire collection strictly for nostalgia purposes and because my Jeep still has a CD player. I have a pretty ridiculous audiophile system at home and I really don't fell any loss playing anything I want via Airplay from my laptop or phone, whether the file is wav or 320 from my hard drives, or streaming via Spotify (subscription, no commercials.) I don't ever find myself saying, "damn, would that high hat sound better on CD or vinyl?" but rather am amazed that I can pull up a rare Zeppelin track on a whim and follow it up with GU 9 with a few swipes of the thumb. Convenience and less clutter in my life easily won over crates and crates of physical nostalgia that really became cumbersome and inconvenient to enjoy. Law of diminishing returns. I'll admit that I do not have the same feeling as going out to buy the new Sasha GU 9, coming home and unwrapping it and inviting a buddy over for a listening session before going clubbing for the weekend, but I did that for a couple of decades and those memories don't require a physical media to recall. Onward, upward and what not.

As for Fabric 100, it should probably be Craig Richards (#1 and #100), but I hope its Lee.

Comment

• ddr
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
      dropped the 600 CDs off to GoodwillI
      someone found a gold mine
      "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• Jenks
        I'm kind of a big deal.
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ddr
        someone found a gold mine
        Yeah, me...tax deduction!

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

[QUOTE=diegoff;1210708]I buy CDs. A lot. They sound better than mp3 or online streaming.
          Besides that, I can´t stand the commercials in spotify or whatever people use to listen to music online. I like to look at my CDs collection, dig and choose what to listen to. Sit down, read the booklet... while it´s playing, I continue digging for the next CD I´ll play... and I don´t depend on internet connections.

/QUOTE]

Exactly !!
          Originally posted by TheVrk
          it IS incredible isn't it??
          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
          Simply does not get any better than Hernan
          The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

I did the same for nearly 20 years and kept moving the heavy boxes of about 600 CDs and 800 vinyls. When we decided to move 1800 miles across the country for a lifestyle change a little over a year ago I decided it was silly to keep all of those crates for that once a year trip down memory lane. Before we left St. Louis I gifted the 800 vinyls to a fellow DJ i'd known for years who still played out a lot, and dropped the 600 CDs off to GoodwillI and kept four CDs out of the entire collection strictly for nostalgia purposes and because my Jeep still has a CD player. I have a pretty ridiculous audiophile system at home and I really don't fell any loss playing anything I want via Airplay from my laptop or phone, whether the file is wav or 320 from my hard drives, or streaming via Spotify (subscription, no commercials.) I don't ever find myself saying, "damn, would that high hat sound better on CD or vinyl?" but rather am amazed that I can pull up a rare Zeppelin track on a whim and follow it up with GU 9 with a few swipes of the thumb. Convenience and less clutter in my life easily won over crates and crates of physical nostalgia that really became cumbersome and inconvenient to enjoy. Law of diminishing returns. I'll admit that I do not have the same feeling as going out to buy the new Sasha GU 9, coming home and unwrapping it and inviting a buddy over for a listening session before going clubbing for the weekend, but I did that for a couple of decades and those memories don't require a physical media to recall. Onward, upward and what not.

As for Fabric 100, it should probably be Craig Richards (#1 and #100), but I hope its Lee.
            Happy for you that this works for you, but just incredibly glad I have never felt like this.
            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• sakio pod
              SALAD TOSSER
              • Jun 2004

ah now the TL is out

Tracklisting:

1. Agnes Obel - Stretch Your Eyes (Ambient Acapella) / Agnes Obel - Stretch Your Eyes (Quiet Village Remix) [Play it Again Sam]
              2. Marbert Rocel - I Wanna (Heitzberg Theorem Club Edit) [Compost Black Label / Compost Records]
              3. Kora (CA) - Ovo [Kindisch]
              4. Tom Flynn - Cup Of Joe [Into Orbit]
              5. Indigo - Sunrise [Cooking Vinyl obo R&S Records / The Orchard] / CLOSE feat. Joe Dukie - My Way [!K7 Records]
              6. DJ Hell - Guede (Joyce Muniz Terror + Natur Remix) [International Deejay Gigolo Records]
              7. Ghosts On Tape - Nature's Law (Jus-Ed Remix) [Icee Hot]
              8. Whitesquare - Abraxas [20/20 Vision]
              9. Crowdpleaser - After Rhône 2013 [Tamed Musiq]
              10. Exercise One & Mathew Jonson - Lost Forever In A Happy Crowd [Exone]
              11. Sasha - Smoke Monk (fabric Mix) [Last Night On Earth]
              12. Objekt - Needle & Thread [Objekt]
              13. Jono Ma & Dreems - A Love Trance Mission From Nk To 7s [Kompakt]
              14. Efdemin - Acid Bells (DJ Koze Edit) [Curle Recordings / N.E.W.S.]
              15. Javier Logares & Kaarel - La Cuarta Galaxia (Tiefschwarz Remix) [Studio Kreuzberg] / George Fitzgerald - Echo Forgets (Sasha’s Moog-apella) [Domino Recording Co.]
              16. Carl Craig - At Les (Feat. Francesco Tristano, Les Siècles & François-Xavier Roth) (Antigone Remix) [InFiné Music]
              17. BAILE - Amae feat. Felicia Douglass (Sasha fabric1999 Mix) [Last Night On Earth]

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Nov 2013

I have a pretty ridiculous audiophile system at home and I really don't fell any loss playing anything I want via Airplay from my laptop or phone, whether the file is wav or 320 from my hard drives, or streaming via Spotify (subscription, no commercials.) I don't ever find myself saying, "damn, would that high hat sound better on CD or vinyl?" but rather am amazed that I can pull up a rare Zeppelin track on a whim and follow it up with GU 9 with a few swipes of the thumb. Convenience and less clutter in my life easily won over crates and crates of physical nostalgia that really became cumbersome and inconvenient to enjoy. Law of diminishing returns. I'll admit that I do not have the same feeling as going out to buy the new Sasha GU 9, coming home and unwrapping it and inviting a buddy over for a listening session before going clubbing for the weekend, but I did that for a couple of decades and those memories don't require a physical media to recall. Onward, upward and what not.

Pretty much this.

Comment

• sbando
                  Going back to Romford
                  • Apr 2008

less clutter in my life easily won over crates and crates of physical nostalgia
                  Well put.
                  ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                  ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                  ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*
                  ╚══`.¸. ...:::.(¯`•\|/•´¯) ☆*゚

Comment

• thebanned1
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • May 2009

clutter i can understand but having an audiophile system and playing low rate compressed files through it, sorry i just don't get that, why buy such a sophisticated piece of equipment and put music through it that doesn't even have the full spectrum that it's supposed to have through it and then expect to appreciate your equipment in all its glory... it's like buying a brand new ferrari and taking out the engine to put a skoda diesel engine in it that's done 300000 miles
                    How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

^^ True !!

I've never had a lot of clutter, I have always been really selective in what I bought. And if I do buy something and get sick of it, I give it to someone else. Of course Djing would obviously create a lot bigger library.

Actually I do have clutter on my Mac.

Comment

• thebanned1
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by DIDI
                        ^^ True !!

I've never had a lot of clutter, I have always been really selective in what I bought. And if I do buy something and get sick of it, I give it to someone else. Of course Djing would obviously create a lot bigger library.

Actually I do have clutter on my Mac.
                        i totally get their point of view but i couldn't live with it myself, if that makes me a music snob then so be it, comes with the territory

Comment

• DIDI
                          Aussie Pest
                          • Nov 2004

^^Neither can I I don't think you are a snob

Comment

• thebanned1
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by DIDI
                            I don't think you are a snob

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Nov 2013

I don't think that it is about being a snob. It's just for the amount of time a cd gets played these days, it's not worth the effort.

Comment

• DIDI
                                Aussie Pest
                                • Nov 2004

^^ I thought he was referring to quality.

I really love my cds. Love the artwork, love the liners , waiting for them to arrive in the post, and love that they don't vanish if a hard drive fails And I do play them even if I do have most of them on my various music players, I prefer the sound from my cds. Maybe because I love all this it really isn't any effort at all for me.

Comment

Working...