Resident 403 Xmas Special- 6 hrs set recorded live at Woodstock Bloemendaal- Part 6

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Re: Resident 403 Xmas Special- 6 hrs set recorded live at Woodstock Bloemendaal- Part

Originally posted by DIDI

He is a complete DJ !!!
    Not sure what this actually means ?

Surely a 'complete' DJ would need to be able to play to any type of club or crowd / City + have the rekordbox to do this. I'm guessing most cats scratch better then Hernan too, and he's cool with that !

I'd say Hernan is a master at what he does / his art with few peers, as well as one of the most committed and nicest people out there. With a wonderful bunch of fans and followers globally that he richly deserves, fans who appreciate great music and what he does. Hernan is unique ... and I'd say thats fine by us.

Just my 2p worth anyway.
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• DIDI
      Aussie Pest
      • Nov 2004

Re: Resident 403 Xmas Special- 6 hrs set recorded live at Woodstock Bloemendaal- Part

Originally posted by simonr
      I don't see Greg's comment as derogatory here. I wouldn't expect a big difference in sound - that is because the elements Hernan looks for and plays are consistent over the years i.e. melody and groove. In recent years the BPM of tracks has lowered fairly consistently vs. late 90s' / early 2000's and even to late 2000s.

Also the recent 'standard' progressive sound isn't one that evolves much - Hernan plays part of this sound .. but what sets him aside is he uses other genres and the loops from prog into tracks to really add wider elements his sets. Plus he constructs special moments. He is also constantly looking out for and breaking new music ... so the sound may not change, but he's one of those DJs that constantly plays fresh music, across genres. In 2018 he played 2 x 6 hour sets and didn't repeat 1 track.

The Woodstock sets are similar to Burning man as both have sunset / sunrise elements .. because of this they won't be like a Hernan 3 hour club set. So the first 2012 Woodstock set HC played will be very similar to 2018 and 2019 .. nothing wrong with this at all .. you won't see El Maestro jump ship to playing electro or Techno ... to hitting trends.

In all honestly the only way I'd be likely to tell the sets apart are from the tracks I know in there that created the special moments e.g. Kolsch - All That Matters in 2012 to Sasha - Trigonometry / Acid Pauli - Nana in 2016 or Marvin & Guy The Train of Fantastic in 2017.

To appreciate a Woodstock set you kind of need to be there, in the sunlight with the unique atmosphere and free spirited vibe. It can't fully translate to home listening. And having seen there from Sasha to Dixon to Âme it is Hernan that is head & shoulders above them all when he plays. I'd love to see Guy and John play all all day Bedrock there but think they'd struggle to match HC .. and John is (my opinion) the best of the best, with HC and Âme close behind.

Also what most won't realise is the first 6 hours of this set are daylight. The other year Hernan said he thought he had 2 hours of dark to play in like a previous year but the late sunset had caught him by surprise him son he didn't play all the club tracks he's wanted to.

The fact is the set is all about patience .. there's no rush here. You get eased into the music and lost in the music. It's not about jumping up and down. The time actually seems to go so quick and in a flash.

Anyway, I can't wait for July 2019 now .. W69 is always one of the years big highlights. It's a shame the secret is out, as a lot of people struggle to get a ticket and they couldn't get the 2 days this year because of restrictions.
      I absolutely love 99.99% percent of this post. Thank you !! We have always had reverse ideas on who we thought was best.

You may have pointed out why I have found this set better every time I listen to it. I really like that easing in music.
      Originally posted by TheVrk
      it IS incredible isn't it??
      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by simonr
        Not sure what this actually means ?

Surely a 'complete' DJ would need to be able to play to any type of club or crowd / City + have the rekordbox to do this. I'm guessing most cats scratch better then Hernan too, and he's cool with that !

I'd say Hernan is a master at what he does / his art with few peers, as well as one of the most committed and nicest people out there. With a wonderful bunch of fans and followers globally that he richly deserves, fans who appreciate great music and what he does. Hernan is unique ... and I'd say thats fine by us.

Just my 2p worth anyway.
        I'm sticking with complete. One word that conveys the feelings when we listen.
        STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• Hoff
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Aug 2009

Anyway, I can't wait for July 2019 now .. W69 is always one of the years big highlights. It's a shame the secret is out, as a lot of people struggle to get a ticket and they couldn't get the 2 days this year because of restrictions.

restictions of what simon !??

it´s the most important thing for me to be there, 2 voyages together with hernán, ... and I need to go

the most divine thing is to be there dancing, knowing he will be mixing day2 to 1 in the farthest mental possible way

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

^^^They are only doing one show this year , there are new rules that say they can only do a few events a year. Are you coming

Comment

Working...