Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

20 years ago Delta Heavy Tour Memorial weekend

20 years ago Monday May 27th 2002
    New Orleans House of Blues
    Last date of the Delta Heavy Tour

20020527-2_66924750_o.jpg

20020527-1_66924731_o.jpg

That was a great weekend. Went to the State Palace Theatre the Saturday for Freakfest and meet a chick I would date for 4 more years. Then went back to NOLA for the Delta Heavy party, which was amazing stuff.
    "Always........Dancing in My Mind"
  • ♫♫♫♫♫♫
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Nov 2013

Re: 20 years ago Delta Heavy Tour Memorial weekend

I think that I had lost interest in both of them by this point. The gigs were very up and down. I just found that there were other DJs that were more interesting, but 2002 was the start of the great clubbing recession in the UK. A lot of the weeklies closed (Cream, Gods, Gatecrasher etc) clubs and festivals were half empty. Their Essential Mix wasn’t even best of the month, never mind the year.

Comment

• ddr
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

Saw them on the Portland Oregon stop at Crystal Ballroom (I think May 10?). First I love this venue, but this was the first time I visited. I was 18, havent even driven much at point but I was determined to make it. My first trip into Portland (the big city lmao) by myself. No GPS cell phone so I had printed both ways via MapQuest. Made it there fine, great great show... loved the wide array of ages that were there. I was up front the whole time with a 70+ year old dude having a great time. It was a blast. Ballroom has wooden floors that girate up and down depending on the crowd... stumbled a few times... again, virgin night out. Made it back to my car no issues, however, the fucking exit ramp that I had detailed on my MapQuest was closed for construction. 2 others were closed, just my luck. My virgin trip to Portland was lost so I found a pay phone and called home frantically to my parents, "help me get home, all of the exits are closed". 30 minutes later I find the road I am meant to be on but doubt myself that I missed the turn (I didn't, had a few more miles to go) but my stupid self flipped a U-turn at 3am only to find a VW Bug right next to me... so my first car accident as well.

Good times indeed. I think I still have my ticket stub somewhere.
      "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• clintlove
        Hey girl, ya Hungry?
        • Jun 2004

I just remember everyone taking their shoes off an holding them in the air towards the end of the the set. And having one wet sock on the walk back to the car.

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 9.48.13 AM2.jpg

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• progressive420
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

I unfortunately left before that happened. Rode with a friend who was kinda bitchy that night and another who was a bit wasted, so we left a bit too early. Did have a couple other friends who stayed and told me about the shoe thing at the end. Sorry I missed that, was kinda pissed at my buddy for a little while and relearned an important lesson....always drive so you control when to leave.

Great night though, I remember when John Digweed took over from Jimmy Van M, he brought in his first record and seriously cranked the bass. The whole floor was rumbling, sooooo much bass

Comment

• floridaorange
            I'm merely a humble butler
            • Dec 2005

Saw them at Coachella Music Fest during Delta Heavy - the sound made perfect sense out in the desert that night.

Saw them a second time in Los Angeles at the same club GU LA mix was inspired by called The Mayan - i think Hypoluxa was there but I forget. That was a pretty amazing night. Great memories.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• GregWhelan
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

I remember that time well, 'The Death of the Superclub' etc. Certainly here in the UK we'd reached saturation point.

Comment

• chuckc
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

I was at the pre-delty heavy which happed at the Hard Rock Orlando Univieral )late 2001 and then delta heavy at wmc which was featured in the DVD. Seems like so so long ago.

Comment

• progressive420
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

^^^ thats real sweet you went to both. That Hard Rock set is a really great one, always wished it was just slightly better sound quality, but hey not complaing. So you caught the first night of the tour and I caught the last

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                    Anyone have Styx livesets?
                    • Jun 2004

they are playing some dates together this summer too

what was the shoe off thing all aboot ?
                    ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• progressive420
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

I may need to be corrected but I think its sort of a wanting an encore type of thing, maybe in the UK or something?

By the way, Thank You to all who are sharing their experiences of the Delta Heavy tour in this thread.
                      It was really was a big deal to me then and now. Alot of reasons but mostly course was a great time and place for this music. Certainly there have been quite a few moments since but it was one of the special ones. Just like the recent anniversary of [MS], I cant believe its been 20 years. So much music and memories since then, mostly from all of you here sharing it or where to find it. Real amazing group of folks here. Thank you again for everything that you all do.

Comment

• cosmo
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Jun 2004

State Palace Theatre was the ultimate venue. Nothing will ever come close. FREEBASS SOCIETY.

Comment

• progressive420
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

It really was, especially in the Southern US. Many nights there, fuckin crazy and huge.
                          I have lots of flyers from there, really brings me back when I look through them.

Comment

• clintlove
                            Hey girl, ya Hungry?
                            • Jun 2004

I lost a few marbles at the palace.

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• cosmo
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Jun 2004

Zoolu 6 was incredible. Three warming things up early before Tini Tun came on with some wicked builds. Amazing. Then on comes RITM. Wink playing after them with a wicked techno set. Then Doc Martin chillin things out with some deep house. Incredible. The laser show there back then was out of this world. First ever for me was Zoolu 5. Wow.

October 27 2001. Deep dish 6 hr set. Ali tore the roof off. Started prog and then slowed things down and went into some wicked dark deep shit. Madness. Sharam came on 3 hrs in and couldnt mix to save his life, but his tracks were DOPE.

That place was a madhouse.

Comment

Working...