• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

what music is

I think this is the best explanation I've ever heard:

"So let's think about what music is. First of all, it’s a pattern, but it isn’t one pattern it’s multiple patterns layered on top of one another in a harmonious manner and in a pattern that indicates in some sense communication

within all the patterned layers because in some sense they have to go together…and so, what’s the world? Well the world’s made of objects, not it’s not, it’s made of patterns. SO music is just like the world, because the world’s made of patterns…and music has layered patterns that are all moving together in a harmonious manner and so what do you do when you hear that, especially when its got a beat? You move your body and you want to, the music calls you to move your body. So now you’re moving your body in sync with the patterned layers of the world. That’s meaning. Music is an analog of the structure of existence itself, and it calls to you to take part in that. Maybe you dance by yourself, or maybe even better you dance with someone else, and you both bring your bodies into a patterned relationship with this multi-layer harmony together in a spontaneous way, indicating that you can both play and are both there for potentially future trustworthy mates — that’s unbelievably cool. Birds dance, it’s not just human beings, you know, so this is a deep thing… and then music does something else too. It puts you on the border of chaos and order, because a boring song does exactly what you expect it to do, and it gets dull very quickly…and an unlistenable song is so random you can’t follow it. And so what you want is, predicability, with a leaven of unpredictability and then that puts you right on the edge. That’s the zone of proximal development."

-Jordan Peterson

It was fun while it lasted...
  • diegoff
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: what music is

Nice one! Iīll check out who is Jordan Peterson
    Itīs a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
    Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
    May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• thebanned1
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • May 2009

Originally posted by diegoff
      Nice one! Iīll check out who is Jordan Peterson

Don't waste your time mate. he's an idiot.
      How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by thebanned1
        Don't waste your time mate. he's an idiot.
        That covers it for me as well. Or maybe I would have said a wanker
        Last edited by DIDI; November 9, 2022, 02:30:58 AM.
        Originally posted by TheVrk
        it IS incredible isn't it??
        STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
        Simply does not get any better than Hernan
        The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• thebanned1
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • May 2009

Originally posted by DIDI
          That covers it for me as well. Or maybe I would have said a wanker

Comment

• floridaorange
            • Dec 2005

Idiot? Hardly.

You don’t teach at America’s most prestigious university (Harvard) for being an idiot.

Divisive? I guess, but “idiot?” No.

Didi not a fan? Shocker!

Diegoff - Dr Peterson is a clinical psychologist - so his approach can cause people to feel personal responsibility for their thoughts and actions. Generally speaking this bothers those who have a past they are unable to deal with or take responsibility for or an identity that they themselves feel confused by. So they often have difficulty listening to Peterson regardless of his intelligence and style.

But watch and decide for yourself

Comment

• DIDI
              Aussie Pest
              • Nov 2004

"You don’t teach at America’s most prestigious university (Harvard) for being an idiot."

But it certainly doesn't stop you from being a right wing , self entitled, pretentious wanker Just checked the TV show from Australia and Yep I think I really nailed it here .
              STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• floridaorange
                • Dec 2005

Not all internet personalities are going to rub you the right way - doesn’t mean that they aren’t doing good for a considerable amount of people. My feminist cousin who went to Harvard and lives in Toronto also hates Jordan with a passion - I’m sorry you guys don’t like him or can’t see the positive utility in his online presence. He was a liberal, as I once was, now he’s more of a moderate - as I am - and unfortunately in todays day in age moderates are purity tested so much by liberals they end up leaning conservative. Right wing? Hardly.

Pretentious etc is more stylistic issues which many don’t vibe with - but that’s up to the individual to decide.

Comment

• thebanned1
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by floridaorange
                  Not all internet personalities are going to rub you the right way - doesn’t mean that they aren’t doing good for a considerable amount of people. My feminist cousin who went to Harvard and lives in Toronto also hates Jordan with a passion - I’m sorry you guys don’t like him or can’t see the positive utility in his online presence. He was a liberal, as I once was, now he’s more of a moderate - as I am - and unfortunately in todays day in age moderates are purity tested so much by liberals they end up leaning conservative. Right wing? Hardly.

Pretentious etc is more stylistic issues which many don’t vibe with - but that’s up to the individual to decide.
                  mate no offense but any cunt that talks about "white genocide" is a complete cunt imho

guy is a grade one wanker

Comment

• thebanned1
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • May 2009

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by floridaorange

He is an incredibly smart man. I wouldn't even think about trying to debate with him, but that doesn't make his words any less abhorrent. He gets so much pleasure from eviscerating people who aren't as smart. In fact I would not be surprised if that was his whole aim. I am at least smart enough to see that . He plays to the very worse in people ,but particularly men. Anything else with him is very elegant window dressing .

Jordan Peterson - Beloved by incels everywhere.

Comment

• floridaorange
                        • Dec 2005

Well he’s not perfect - we see you’re not his fan.
                        Still a brilliant quote …

I think there is a lot to learn from the man and if there are things you don’t agree with - that’s called life.

Diegoff can decide for himself just fine I’m sure.

Comment

• diegoff
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

I listened to some of his talks. Some things he said are interesting, but the one about music is the one that I prefer.
                          I agree that to work at that university, sure heīs not an idiot.
                          Itīs a spiritual thing!

Comment

• floridaorange
                            • Dec 2005

enjoy - i transcribed it from here

Comment

• diegoff
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Jun 2004

^ thanks!!
                              Itīs a spiritual thing!

Comment

Working...