• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KMS
    Fresh Peossy
    • Apr 2007

Booka shade!

let's talk Booka people!!
    They are my absolute favorite!!!!!! Yes, I enjoy a variety of genres of electronic beats...from techno to dubstep...from house to breaks....etc...etc. Booka Shade's beats, however, are my fav!!! They are the reason I am soooooo unbelievably passionate about music as well as the reason why I want to learn to spin and produce tracks. I can't really explain why, but I can say that I just 'get' their music. They make me dance like noone else at their live shows and feel crazy emotions.....kinda nuts??? I think so...hah!
    Here are my questions:
    What is your take on the Booka freaken Shade duo???
    and
    What dj/producer(s) have influenced u???
  • day_for_night
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: Booka shade!

saw them do a live pa last week....they absolutely rocked it. crowd was going nuts. my only complaint is they only played an hour...could have been longer.

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

Yeah their live show is awesome.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• thesightless
        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
        • Jun 2004

they just dropped a buncha tunes on beatport, most of them very good.

tiger stripes are right there with booka as well. mikael is amazing at everything from latin influenced house like marimba and consecration to his dirtier, techy stuff as in dont know who are remixes and nothing at all.

booka shade is steller.
        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• 3ibb3
          Gold Gabber
          • Jul 2005

there are playing tonight in Boston, i am hoping that i get off work in time to make it but it doesn't look to promising

Comment

• rubyraks
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

Caught them live at the conference a few years back and they rocked it!

they play here in nyc friday night...hmmm....
            "Work like you don't need the money.
            Love like you've never been hurt.
            Dance like nobody's watching.
            Sing like nobody's listening.
            Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• AntonyM
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Oct 2004

Always liked their production, then saw them a few months back do a live PA and was floored, very much at the forefront of this new wave of tech style music.
              Originally posted by Shpira
              So came back last night...
              Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
              Originally posted by Illuminate
              Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
              2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
              3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
              4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• Miroslav
                WHOA I can change this!1!
                • Apr 2006

generally, they are quite good. their production is generally good, some of it is terrific - Trespass 06 is a classic. But some of it is just cheap euro-cheese scarf-wearing fodder. I hate that "oh superman" track.

I saw them live in Chicago once. I thought it was good, but nothing particularly amazing. It was just a "top 40" version of all of their hits...just one after the other, sounding just like on the CDs. Of course, everyone loved it bc they were bombed out of their skulls. I got the sense that the guy playing the drums over the tracks was kinda faking it...lol

For me, a live PA has to give me something unexpected and improvised...something new. I was much happier with Dan Berkson and James What's opening set. That was some groovy mixing and live improv.
                Last edited by Miroslav; July 30, 2008, 01:23:23 AM.
                mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• Aleks_B
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Nov 2006

I love Booka Shade's production. Some tracks are better than others, obviously. I am getting quite excited about potentially seeing this live P.A. show in Toronto later this week!!
                  aleks_b - re_azure | my_space

Comment

• 3ibb3
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Miroslav
                    generally, they are quite good. their production is generally good, some of it is terrific - Trespass 06 is a classic. But some of it is just cheap euro-cheese scarf-wearing fodder. I hate that "oh superman" track.

I saw them live in Chicago once. I thought it was good, but nothing particularly amazing. It was just a "top 40" version of all of their hits...just one after the other, sounding just like on the CDs. Of course, everyone loved it bc they were bombed out of their skulls. I got the sense that the guy playing the drums over the tracks was kinda faking it...lol

For me, a live PA has to give me something unexpected and improvised...something new. I was much happier with Dan Berkson and James What's opening set. That was some groovy mixing and live improv.

i was at that show as well and although i enjoyed booka shade i thought Berkson & What we amazing

Comment

• emuler
                      I'm Ignorant.... so sue me!!
                      • May 2007

they are awesome live

Comment

• Taylor Norris
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Miroslav
                        Of course, everyone loved it bc they were bombed out of their skulls.

That was a fun night.... It was a very intimate venue and we ended up with Arno's drumstick which he signed for us.

Comment

• KMS
                          Fresh Peossy
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by 3ibb3
                          there are playing tonight in Boston, i am hoping that i get off work in time to make it but it doesn't look to promising
                          Call in sick and go dammit!! hah

Comment

• Johnson
                            Addiction started
                            • Dec 2004

that looks like a little psy-trance bar, with all the cheesy decoration .. i thought they play big venue's now =)

Berkson & What are awesome, saw them first at WMC07 and happy that they touring a lot ... they deserve it.

Comment

• Taylor Norris
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Johnson
                              that looks like a little psy-trance bar, with all the cheesy decoration ..
                              The venue was in Chicago and called The Funky Buddha Lounge. I also saw Booka at DEMF in 07 and had more fun at their show in Chicago.

btw...The DEMF set was almost identical to their set in Chicago...

Comment

Working...