X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Birdman

I think one of the themes of the film, the main theme is about the ego. When people have been or are in positions of power, like starring in an epic film, their ego tends to tell them lies about their importance. But to a certain extent, I would think that everyone can relate in some way, as we all have to muster up courage to do big things from time to time, and through that process we lie to ourselves, or talk to ourselves in a way that is intended to boost our esteem or self-worth, or whatever. And truly, in order to lead a blockbuster film franchise worth $100's of millions of dollars, a person has to build themselves up to a certain extent, in their minds, about their value, talent, skill, etc etc.

It was fun while it lasted...
  • KiwiTollway
    Platinum Poster
    • Jan 2014

Re: Birdman

hmmmm, interesting.

So, he was levitating, moving objects & flying around NY using his ego then?

I enjoyed the filming technique (whatever it's called), then it got to be annoying, then enjoyable again. Different, which I liked.

Originally posted by floridaorange
    .....and through that process we lie to ourselves, or talk to ourselves in a way that is intended to boost our esteem or self-worth, or whatever.
    I could never be an actor because I didn't learn this ^. My ego does just the opposite most all of the time.

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

So the ending, did he fly or?

I assumed the powers were real but my friend had a really interesting take on it:

Spoiler warning - Mark text to read it
      He thinks Riggan died and what we saw in the ending was the proverbial 'happy ending' and completely fictitious. Reason being the entire film was shot in 'one take' right up to Riggan shooting himself on stage: The cut signified a departure from everything we saw before it.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• KiwiTollway
        Platinum Poster
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by feather
        So the ending, did he fly or?
        feather, people can't fly.

I really tried to look for a deeper meaning.

Maybe the message was his spirit soared. ??idk... or his ego was ultimately his demise. ??

Comment

• KiwiTollway
          Platinum Poster
          • Jan 2014

Maybe it's through his acting and trying to get people's approval (i.e., be loved), all those years.... the trying, trying to get love but only achieving idol worship, he mistreated those he loved and himself to the point of utter mental breakdown and ultimate destruction?

The film to me showed much of what happens to people who constantly seek success through their careers... sooner or later, nothing in life is "sacred" to them but their work, then only sadness is left.

The women roles of the film made it seem they managed to keep boundaries of what's important and maintain lines they refused to cross (no sex on stage, etc.) Ex-wife kept loving him and learned to accept him the way he was (warts and all)... Through his lack of self ...to give love to anyone, his new girlfriend managed to learn she was bisexual, and his daughter learned he was really only human, not her hero (all daughters learn this). He taught everyone something, as we all do... that was my take anyway.

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

Well I took it at face value and assumed he had powers

So if he didn't fly, why did Emma Stone look up in the sky after looking down for his body?

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• KiwiTollway
              Platinum Poster
              • Jan 2014

^^ love that about you!!!

He turned into an actual feathered bird (metaphysically), joined his flock & flew away...???? idk

My first thought upon her doing that was she came to the realization his spirit was actually now FREE, free to fly or do anything and everything he ever wanted to do. He was finally free (of having to try to win everyone's approval). And that made her happy & smile (finally unconditionally loving him). dat da da

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

I'm a huge comic book/super hero fan so I was happy to go along with the idea of a real superhero with super powers having a mid life crisis and looking for something more.

In the movie whenever he displayed any kind of power he was alone. I thought the movie was set up to make the audience think the guy is schizo and hallucinated his powers, only to prove the world wrong when he jumped and flew away. Emma Stone looking down and then up, is the first time his power is validated by someone else.

If he had indeed jumped to his death while metaphorically finding his release and freedom by flying away, I figured Emma Stone's character would've freaked out more over the dead body on the side walk instead of looking up with a smile ...

Comment

• feather
                  Shanghai ooompa loompa
                  • Jul 2004

Comment

• floridaorange
                    • Dec 2005

I don't think he flies or had any powers, that's was all his imagination and Emma's. He had returned his mind to that role he played years ago (birdman is symbolic for batman) and all it's glory, not allowing anyone to take that away from him. Is how I took it. Especially given that he was batman actually, then didn't do much for quite a while. (I typed my response before reading Feathers link)

Comment

• floridaorange
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by KiwiTollway
                      hmmmm, interesting.

So, he was levitating, moving objects & flying around NY using his ego then?

his imagination / prior super powers from playing the widely recognized and acclaimed "birdman."
                      It's his way of taking the power back when he feels like he isn't being respected enough or treated right. Is how I took it.

Comment

• feather
                        Shanghai ooompa loompa
                        • Jul 2004

I can go with the hallucinations and pseudo powers but what was Emma Stone's reaction then? Because she is not part of his hallucination. It seems like too much of a creative license to have Emma Stone look down to see his dead body and then look up and smile, it doesn't work for her character and the story.

Maybe the director did mean it to suggest he died and is free and Emma Stone's character is happy for him but it's just too much of a stretch, a daughter sees her dad's dead body and immediately smiles?

Not trying to insist that Riggan had powers but the Emma Stone reaction makes no sense.

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jan 2014

^^ before you process that someone is actually dead/gone, there are a few seconds (if not several minutes or days) of shock, denial & bliss that they are, indeed, free of pain/struggle/sickness. It's difficult to watch someone you love wrestle with themselves & their inner longings. You either "act" grieved right away when you discover they're dead or just shocked, or you're a more consciously aware individual who can put yourself aside for a few seconds and revel in the freedom death brings.

not trying to stretch it, but a father/child relationship has an eternal quality and for a few seconds (which we saw in the film) she was glad for him... next she probably screamed upon the realization of the finality. I'm saying, looking out that window involves nanoseconds of realization/peace before the horror/grief because it takes us all a while to process such information. Would you agree?

She looked for him below & saw nothing horrible (Dad is laying on the ground, so?), then looked up and visualized his spirit free (smiling). well, at that point it's all surface-level processing ("none of this is real").

That's the reason people hold wakes/viewings for others to see the dead person... it's all for our mind's processing. Death is so esoteric.

Her character, with all of her angst & anger, was always ultimately on her Dad's side... which is why she worked for/with him.

that's my rather lengthy rationale.

idk. Interesting discussion, all of our interpretations.

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jan 2014

what I didn't find plausible was that he aimed at his temple and only accidentally shot off his nose; is that plausible?

and if an actor used a real weapon on their head, in public, in front of an audience, no one would put him in a hospital room with a window that could open, no way is that plausible!! he wouldn't have had all those flower vases in his room, visitors, etc. he'd be on suicide watch.

As soon as all of that started happening in the film, I thought the director was taking us into his daughter's or ex-wife's fantasy or a dream sequence. None of that seems realistic to me.

I thought the film was finished when the real gun went off. So, for me, the other scene was more of a "here ya go, consider this possibility.....none of this was real --powers weren't real, voice he heard wasn't real, the critic in the bar (was just his paranoia), all of it was only in his ill mind. And he saw his daughter seeing his death as taking flight. He was sick."

Comment

• floridaorange
                              • Dec 2005

^agreed

Comment

Working...