If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
just got my macbook pro. Since they cost an arm and a leg, I thought I'd try Apple certified refurbished - supposedly fixed, heavily inspected, comes with same warranty as a new macbook.
Well, I finally get it in the mail and everything is great..... except that the sound in one speaker is fucked.
so now since I'm living in Wichita, KS for the next 5 months, there is no Apple store anywhere near here and I have to ship the goddamn thing off somewhere....god knows if I'll ever see any functional piece of mac hardware prior to new years.
just got my macbook pro. Since they cost an arm and a leg, I thought I'd try Apple certified refurbished - supposedly fixed, heavily inspected, comes with same warranty as a new macbook.
Well, I finally get it in the mail and everything is great..... except that the sound in one speaker is fucked.
so now since I'm living in Wichita, KS for the next 5 months, there is no Apple store anywhere near here and I have to ship the goddamn thing off somewhere....god knows if I'll ever see any functional piece of mac hardware prior to new years.
Ever heard the phrase "You get what you pay for" when it comes to computers I would never buy refurbs. But they will fix the speaker and then you'll have a computer that is way better than a Win model.
yeah I guess refurbs will always have a higher probability of defects, seeing as that's why they were refurbs in the first place - but these are certified by apple and supposed to be thoroughly inspected by them. They come with the same guarantee as new computers, less about $400. But oh well, I know there is always some probability in such a big process of getting the bug... I'll give em a chance. I got a case number from tech support and I'm taking it to a local certified apple reseller to be dealt with for free...
am i the only person alive to never have a PC issue. the only computer issue i had was when i spilt a beer on my keyboard.
seriously, as long as you keep your AVG/anti virus updating weekly, and run the occasional defrag and cleanup, it should be fine.
funny thing is, my roomates mac camera broke and he lost his comp for 3 weeks while it was fixed. i changed out my keyboard in the half hour it took me to drive to bestbuy and buy a new one.
plus, as emuler said, go to newegg or similar and build a monster. i did it with alienware, and my PC is a beast. i upgraded my vid card once. want to do it again. thats only cuz of the evolution of graphic cards and my need to play games in the highest quality. (notably wow, EQ2 and teamfortress.) for the price you pay for a good mac laptop, you can get a more powerful PC tower.
I don't have PC issues either but then I build my rigs with the parts that I want. I'm not a fan of pre-built systems because you can't get everything tailored to your likes and needs.
As for the comments about refurbished units, it depends on why it is labeled a refurb. I bought a 17" NEC LCD monitor for my daughter years ago and it was a refurb because the manufacturer forgot to include the manual in the box. Therefore, it had to have the manual added and could no longer be considered new. Because of that, I got $100 off of the price.
My PC's have always run brilliantly. Think the first one I ever built wasn't the best of things (AMD Duron 800mhz, VIA chipset that wasn't great, Windows ME (Ugh!)) but since then learnt how to choose the best parts and keep XP running smoothly and quickly.
I don't have PC issues either but then I build my rigs with the parts that I want. I'm not a fan of pre-built systems because you can't get everything tailored to your likes and needs.
DIY FTW I never had any problems with my PCs either. In fact XP was my favourite Windows, it was the most robust and stable of the lot. When there was a crash, the system always booted up fine like nothing happened. I don't even need to stick in the install cd and go into repair mode. And I only run NOD32 and some auto-defrag software for the system and nothing else.
Let's face it, 90% of the problems with any OS is user errors. The rest is hardware failure. A lot of computer users simply have no concept of working with a computer or workflow or file naming or updating their OS, etc. And they relentlessly click on anything that can be clicked on, including dumb MSN worms sent out by infected friends.
But Apple still makes better notebooks than most PC makers, maybe with the exception of Sony.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoff
a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
Originally posted by m1sT3rL
Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment