Originally posted by DIDI
    ^^ What is Bobbies ??
    bobby tables? xkcd: Exploits of a Mom

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

Re: Fear the end is near...

What kind of hosting plan are we looking at to host something like [ms] the forum, disregarding sets?

Digital Ocean has node.js so running NodeBB is possible too.

Here are some discussions around the 3 forum software mentioned so far:

Discourse, Flarum, NodeBB... Oh My! : webdev
      Flarum vs Discourse vs Nodebb - Flarum Community
      What are the advantages of Flarum over Discourse? - Flarum Community

Who's the most familiar with the nuts and bolts of forum software and can make a call?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• D.Williams
        Platinum Poster
        • Aug 2006

I will pay and host the forum if you guys can host the sets someplace.
        It would be a new start though, but I would be cool with that. If who ever owns the mercuryserver.com domain wants to give that up I would pay for that too.

Comment

• tiddles
          Encryption, Jr.
          • Jun 2004

i'd vote for digital ocean or heroku because it's less work and easier to scale, but if there's no set hosting then the database probably isn't going to get that big. i do ruby and js which is why i suggested discourse, but i doubt i have time to do a whole lot of customization stuff for it. How to use the Discourse One-Click Application on DigitalOcean | DigitalOcean

what about just trimming down MS as is, dumping the forum db and moving to another host? any php people still here?

Comment

• Claire Taurus
            Banned
            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by DIDI
            ^^ What is Bobbies ??
            bobjuice

Comment

• sbando
              Going back to Romford
              • Apr 2008

^Good one. Registered.
              ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
              ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
              ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*
              ╚══`.¸. ...:::.(¯`•\|/•´¯) ☆*゚

Comment

• Micko
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Oct 2004

This is has been coming for a long time really. While not surprising, I am saddened to hear the news. I hope we maintain MS in some other guise. I have no idea about the technical side of things though.

When I initially read the thread, I remembered when my first kid was born and I posted the news here on MS. I don't think I ever felt so connected, as I did that night, to the gang here

Comment

• Micko
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Oct 2004

I will be sure to continue the ambient thread over at the Juice

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by D.Williams
                    It would be a new start though, but I would be cool with that. If who ever owns the mercuryserver.com domain wants to give that up I would pay for that too.
                    I already have a lot of sets uploaded to mediafire and I'm sure others have as well. I would be happy to contribute financially on a regular basis as well.

I actually like the idea of a smaller forum, it seems friendlier I don't know much technically , but if we take this framework , trim and put up the new links, could that work?? Basically work out what we want to keep .

I would like to see mercuryserver.com living
                    Originally posted by TheVrk
                    it IS incredible isn't it??
                    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• GarryX
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by D.Williams
                      Thats a great offer, hats off D

Originally posted by sbando
                      ^Good one. Registered.
                      Same

Comment

• thebanned1
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • May 2009

it's important we keep this place going, if we don't evil_concussion will have fewer places to tell people he spent over a grand on a piece of high end equipment to record 128 Kbps extended 30 minute long streams that only he knew about from his many insiders, SORRY WE CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN

on a serious note : i can chip in a few quid each month as well btw
                        How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• feather
                          Shanghai ooompa loompa
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by tiddles
                          i'd vote for digital ocean or heroku because it's less work and easier to scale, but if there's no set hosting then the database probably isn't going to get that big. i do ruby and js which is why i suggested discourse, but i doubt i have time to do a whole lot of customization stuff for it. How to use the Discourse One-Click Application on DigitalOcean | DigitalOcean

what about just trimming down MS as is, dumping the forum db and moving to another host? any php people still here?
                          Crazy how easy DigitalOcean makes it.

I was looking at that and in the DO forum someone mentioned DiscourseHosting.com. They seem reasonably priced. $20 for basic, $40 for professional, $80 for business.

Would that be reasonable? Presumably their infrastructure is built specifically for Discourse and we'd get support if anything goes wrong.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                          a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                          Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Gatz
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jun 2004

I have decided to call it quits after 20 years I will upload like crazy until Winter Music Conference 2017 after that I will fade away keeping only a few selected users on soulseek. If you have any requests now would be a good time.

Comment

• DIDI
                              Aussie Pest
                              • Nov 2004

^^^ Really sorry to hear this, but a huge thank you for all those years. !!!

Maybe we need to be looking at this in a slightly different way. One step at a time. With the first step to take some of the pressure off Kamal financially, that would give us and him a bit of breathing space.

I am ready to put my money where my mouth is
                              Originally posted by TheVrk
                              it IS incredible isn't it??
                              STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                              Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                              The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                                Are you Kidding me??
                                • Nov 2013

Mercuryserver was the Global Underground of the modern era. Through the 00's it was the place that you could come to and find many exclusive sets, that no one else had. People here had that genuine love of the music. The problem was in the +2010's, everything changed. Facebook, soundcloud etc, decimated that era and we can never go back. I would love to know how many times that I have clicked on this place. I've also had the privilege of meeting quite a few people from here too.

Comment

Working...