• Show
Clear All
  • AchtungBaby!
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Feb 2009

Re: Fear the end is near...

Originally posted by Kamal
    It costs $165 a month for the server
    Good ideas but imo, with kinda minimum effort of regular members, we can figure this out.

A few years back i already asked an alternative way to donate because Paypal does not work well in Argentina but well, no response.

Again, if there is any way to donate i´ll gladly do... My 2 cents for keeping MS alive.

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• sbando
      Going back to Romford
      • Apr 2008

165 is for the current solution, there's absolutely no reason to pay that much for a few forum pages and a few hundreds (?) visitors a day.

That said, I can contribute with a monthly donation, I can temporarily host the board, etc. But if Kamal has already made his mind or is not interested anymore then there's no reason for me to insist.
      ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
      ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
      ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*
      ╚══`.¸. ...:::.(¯`•\|/•´¯) ☆*゚

Comment

• Kamal
        Administrator
        • May 2002

Originally posted by feather
        Yeah if MJ Hosting's shutting is why [ms] has to go, surely we can find a different hosting.
        It's not the hosting, it's the cost associated with it. MJW was born to recoup the costs associated with renting the server. If the hosting goes, the costs become the problem.
        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
        he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
        Originally posted by ace_dl
        Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
        I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• unrecogniseduser
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

13 members on the facebook group...that's why noone posts. If the forum didnt close I would happily migrate there and use it.
          motherlover

Comment

• GarryX
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Apr 2006

I joined the Facebook group ages ago and nothing was happening.

Im no longer on Facebook so that's not an option for me unfortunately.

unless we manage to keep this forum going in some way, it wouldn't be the same trying to do it elsewhere

#saveour[ms]

Comment

• trick12
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jul 2007

will be sad if it goes forsureee..sooo many good memories here.,.,.defo need to keep a way to keep in touch
              Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• sbando
                Going back to Romford
                • Apr 2008

No FB, thank you.
                ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*

Comment

• thebanned1
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • May 2009

lets face it guys forums have been dead for a long time now, were just the relics that are holding onto it for dear life... what ever kamal decides to do we should respect his choice after all at the end of the day he's paid for our ass's to sit here and get entertained,argue, fight and just generally mess about trying to entertain ourselves
                  How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• feather
                    Shanghai ooompa loompa
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by thebanned1
                    lets face it guys forums have been dead for a long time now, were just the relics that are holding onto it for dear life... what ever kamal decides to do we should respect his choice after all at the end of the day he's paid for our ass's to sit here and get entertained,argue, fight and just generally mess about trying to entertain ourselves
                    I don't think we're insisting Kamal keep this alive against his wishes, but rather what we can do to keep this alive.

If we can take over the cost with minimal hassle and admin/babysitting responsibilities for Kamal, why not?

And if the current form of [ms] ceases to exist, but we can continue [ms] on a different server thereby completely taking it off Kamal's hands, why not?

Like sbando said, a forum is just software with pages and words; sets are linked out to file sharing sites. We're not talking gigabytes here.

We'll miss a lot of the great custom functions but I feel like they're taken for granted anyway, not sure if they're actively used.

I just did a quick google/research on forum software, Flarum is in beta, looks like a pretty cool, very lightweight, and modern forum software that's open source / free.

NodeBB is another modern forum software and they provide hosting at a cost (I think).

If we know the server requirements we can quickly look into hosting options or I'm sure some of you are already familiar with them.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• GarryX
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Apr 2006

I don't think we're insisting Kamal keep this alive against his wishes, but rather what we can do to keep this alive.

If we can take over the cost with minimal hassle and admin/babysitting responsibilities for Kamal, why not?

And if the current form of [ms] ceases to exist, but we can continue [ms] on a different server thereby completely taking it off Kamal's hands, why not?

Like sbando said, a forum is just software with pages and words; sets are linked out to file sharing sites. We're not talking gigabytes here.

We'll miss a lot of the great custom functions but I feel like they're taken for granted anyway, not sure if they're actively used.

I just did a quick google/research on forum software, Flarum is in beta, looks like a pretty cool, very lightweight, and modern forum software that's open source / free.

NodeBB is another modern forum software and they provide hosting at a cost (I think).

If we know the server requirements we can quickly look into hosting options or I'm sure some of you are already familiar with them.

Feather for joint presidency with sbando and whoever else knows the technical side of things

I can help with funding hopefully and music 8£

Comment

• thebanned1
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • May 2009

MJ more or less nailed it on the head, were not exactly getting any younger and our priorities are changing which means we are getting into different things and have less disposable income ( some of us ).. i've watched what has happened to many a forum over the last say 10 years and it's been a worrying trend, one forum i goto used to be so busy that by the time your reply was logged and you went to the main page you had to scroll down the page to see the thread you had just replied in, it's just not the case any more..sorry to say this but the forum is a relic of days gone by. this place need a major overhaul, it's not been right since it was hacked..it doesn't even have SSL or nothing, i'm pretty sure we could all sort that out right now because we have a little bit of inspiration to deal with it but as time goes on more and more of the regulars are just going to slowly drop off and yet again it's just going to be left to one guy
                        How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• sbando
                          Going back to Romford
                          • Apr 2008

The point is to save the ms community, we all know the site has lost its purpose years ago, no one thinks it's the history that needs to be saved. I'll be even more direct: MS doesn't exist anymore. But the people who still post here don't need the history, just a few forum pages on a cheaper server solution.

That said, I think Kamal has already made his mind. Too bad. You can find me at HearThis.
                          ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                          ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                          ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*

Comment

• tiddles
                            Encryption, Jr.
                            • Jun 2004

GitHub - discourse/discourse: A platform for community discussion. Free, open, simple. is an alternative and looks like it would cost $20/mo on digital ocean, i can set it up, but i can't be bothered about importing whatever db we're using to postgres, so it would be a fresh start

Comment

• DIDI
                              Aussie Pest
                              • Nov 2004

^^ What is Bobbies ??
                              Originally posted by TheVrk
                              it IS incredible isn't it??
                              STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                              Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                              The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• DIDI
                                Aussie Pest
                                • Nov 2004

I have 158.36 TB of space available on Mediafire. Is there anyway we can use this??
                                Originally posted by TheVrk
                                it IS incredible isn't it??
                                STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                                Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                                The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

Working...