Best DJs and producers of that sound that we like so much...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • udolph
    Gold Gabber
    • Nov 2009

Best DJs and producers of that sound that we like so much...

Well guys, I was talking about this in other thread but at the wrong place so I do it here to dig deeper on the subject.

"...I like only around 10% of the stuff so I don't listen to everything.

I share the sessions that contain the most attractive sounds to me.
    I miss the old days with Desyn and Luke and the older version of Karmon, Maceo, Adriatique, Tale of Us...""

Do you agree guys the difficulty to find that kind of deep/funk/tech/progressive that has magic inside?

We could mention many producers making amazing stuff, but DJs puting all that together is so difficult to find.

I remember Desyn Masiello puting one mix better than the other, Luke Fair almost the same, years later came Maceo Plex, Tale of Us, Adriatique, Karmon and all of them made it in a moment of history too, but much shorter than the 2 kings, then all of them became more techno/tech artists (or trying to...)

We also have Lee Burridge, but nowadays he is too ambient or "spiritual" too, no so into mixing textures from the proggy/deep/tech.

I could mention that I heard some good mixs sparingly from names like Atish, Raxon, Andhim, Ricky Ryan, Betoko, Khen, Magdalena, Hosh, etc etc but it's like the consistency is very far to be the same...

I dunno, share your thoughts
    "The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."
  • thebanned1
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • May 2009

Re: Best DJs and producers of that sound that we like so much...

Originally posted by udolph
    Do you agree guys the difficulty to find that kind of deep/funk/tech/progressive that has magic inside?

yup, i like even less than 10% of the housey stuff i listen too, it's probably closer to 2%, it's why i stopped downloading sets, no point in hoarding stuff that you will never listen to

Burridge is probably about the only dj who is trying to push a unique sound ( i know there will be people on here that don't agree with me )..out of everything that is posted on here he's probably the only dj for me that is worth checking out, instantly.
    How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• jay813
      Platinum Poster
      • May 2005

i think things come in waves, and give it some time but that sounds will be what everyone's playing again. enjoy the ride and find new djs that suit your taste, i mean to me that's half the fun.

i try not to deal with absolutes in this genre as its always changing, which is one of the things i like the most. 15 years ago i listened to alot of dave seaman, carl cox and deep dish. I could not tell you what any of those guys are playing now.

sasha and guy j are the only 2 that id listen to without hesitation on any release they put out, mixes or live.

Comment

• udolph
        Gold Gabber
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by thebanned1
        yup, i like even less than 10% of the housey stuff i listen too, it's probably closer to 2%...
        ...Burridge is probably about the only dj who is trying to push a unique sound...
        I agree, the % is that small,
        about Burrige I agree, but I like his club version better than the open air spiritual overdose.

Originally posted by jay813
        ...sasha and guy j are the only 2 that id listen to without hesitation on any release they put out, mixes or live.
        They are both big ones without a doubt, but it's not the sound that many of us are looking for (at least for me), something more deep and not so proggy.

We could share here links of our favorite mixs of the last half decade 2013-2018
        what do you think guys?

Comment

• el presidente Highsteppa
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Isn't that a saying that goes with any genre of music? The "10% of any given genre is actually very good or excellent, the other 90% is garbage" philosophy.

The difficulty in making something that isn't only unique but also able to connect with the crowd is always that quest that creates a goldrush (and, in the process, creates more of an output of sheer volume rather than quality) for the genre when it does happen. The best example I can think of is Justice did it with their "Cross" album - created a cottage industry of imitators with the electro sound, even through there were plenty of others that were doing similar work to Justice's, prior to their album's release.

Or on more anecdotal note, Daft Punk with Homework - for me personally, it's a fantastic album, but it really wasn't that much different from a lot of the music that DJ Sneak and the Chicago House scene had already been doing. But, in the end, Daft Punk were the ones that broke through and became the revered ones and managed to survive the electronica marketing push in the mid 90's in the U.S.

I guess the point I'm making is as much as it can be a craft, there's an element of luck to it as well for it to be discovered and become part of that 10%.
          Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫

Comment

• udolph
            Gold Gabber
            • Nov 2009

I don't feel the same.
            I think this is not a matter of marketing or luck.

I really feel that some artists and DJs has something special and many of us identify that. We really agree in this forum (in many cases) which ones are special and deliver art and sound in a different way than the rest.

Comment

• REDROCK
              Gold Gabber
              • Feb 2015

I think it's that the mixes don't translate from a live to a non-live atmosphere. Saw burridge, sasha live recently both outstanding.
              Last edited by REDROCK; April 3, 2018, 10:22:38 AM.
              Back when a club was a club full of dancers and dove's.

Comment

• udolph
                Gold Gabber
                • Nov 2009

I agree about Burridge with that "touch" since ever, his mixs always had gems even when he was playing dark house, IDM, etc
                The father of this feeling as I said IMHO was Desyn, but also Luke Fair, Deep Dish (sometimes), Omid, SOS, Adriatique, Karmon, Tale of Us (the old sound) and not many more...

I like the progressive house too, with luminaries like Hernan, Digweed, Sasha, Warren and many more but that sound has nothing to do with the eclectic sound and feeling of the ones mentioned before.

Comment

• DIDI
                  Aussie Pest
                  • Nov 2004

One of the best sets I have ever seen/heard was Omid . I won the stumps award that night. First on the dance floor , last off
                  Originally posted by TheVrk
                  it IS incredible isn't it??
                  STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                  Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                  The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• gizze
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Jul 2010

I totally agree with the above, only sets I really know I will like from big name DJs currently are from Guy J, I do like most of Ricky Ryan's mixes, Simon Langham also puts out belters too.

But apart from that it is touch and go whether I will like them or not.

I have to say that much if the stuff from the Bedrock forum was also good, the users on there often made the professionals sound crap imho. Now it has gone I am missing those mixes.

But then I have found this for years, it was the reason I got back into DJ'ing in 2010 after a 10 year gap, I could simply put mixes together with an hours worth of tunes I know I like.
                    My Soundcloud page...
                    GuyMiddleton's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Comment

• udolph
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by DIDI
                      One of the best sets I have ever seen/heard was Omid . I won the stumps award that night. First on the dance floor , last off
                      Oh yes, totally agree, Omid has always that touch, I didn't experienced it much in his sets but his productions and different aliases are special. Not for nothing he created one of my favorite labels *Sex on Wax* and always the head behind the few productions of Desyn.

Originally posted by gizze
                      I totally agree with the above, only sets I really know I will like from big name DJs currently are from Guy J, I do like most of Ricky Ryan's mixes, Simon Langham also puts out belters too...
                      Never heard of Langham, I will check

Originally posted by gizze
                      ...I have to say that much if the stuff from the Bedrock forum was also good, the users on there often made the professionals sound crap imho. Now it has gone I am missing those mixes...
                      100% no doubt, there are a second line that were at the same level or higher than the big names but hadn't the same popularity or consistency thru the time like:
                      Ricky Ryan, Alex Zeta Paul, Lucas Abadi, Tom Morgan, etc

Comment

Working...