X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fatalfelix
    Platinum Poster
    • May 2008

The magic behind minimal techno

It might be a strange topic title, but I'm having some sort of a discussion with one of my girlfriends and it kind of looks like we don't understand each other. She's really into the Richie Hawtin type of techno and I'm to be honest more a Hernan Cattaneo guy. It's not that I don't like Richie Hawtin, because I do, but it does not touch my soul in the same way Hernan Cattaneo does.

So I was actually wondering how you guys experience e.g. Richie Hawtin compared to Hernan Cattaneo? What kind of feelings do you get when you listen to stripped down techno compared to the feelings you get when you listen to melodic music?

What I like about uplifting minimal techno (like Hawtin) is that it kind of pulls you out of your body while does pumping beats and high hats keep tickling your senses. It's like you get manifested in your own body. Can imagine people can get excited about this and maybe even a bit horny. Especially when enjoyed live. It also gives you the feeling of living in the moment.

When I listen to Hernan Cattaneo it's like the complete opposite takes place. The beats and high hats are less intense, and therefore I feel the music less in my body, but this time it feels like my soul is being touched by does lovely grooves and melodies. I feel so much more depth and so much more love. It's like my soul gets manifested. I completely forget the world and my body seems of less importance. This kind of music is about the universe.

It also looks like the basic components of each type of music ruines the effect of the other type of music. I mean, melody ruines the feeling of those slamming minimal techno beats and high hats because they anesthetize, while does slamming beats and high hats destroy the feeling of being weightless because they constantly wake you up.

Summary: for me minimal techno is like experiencing a flat surface/landscape while melodic techno / progressive house is like being in a never ending fairy tale on another planet.

Edit: I'm not searching for a good vs bad, but I'm trying to understand what she likes so much about minimal techno.
    "Computer games don’t affect kids: I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
  • ♫♫♫♫♫♫
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Nov 2013

Re: The magic behind minimal techno

Sounds like she has better taste in music than you. She clearly has exemplary taste and you will never understand why. If you want to understand it, it is simple she goes out and get fucked up to Hawtin, you don't.

Seriously. Your taste has no relevance, music is not a competition or a pissing contest. If you need reassurance that your taste is better you have probably come to the right place, but it has not.

Comment

• DIDI
      Aussie Pest
      • Nov 2004

^^ He didn't ask who has better taste and imho neither of them do. They have different taste. I like some melodic techno, but mostly I don't really get anything emotional from techno. I actively dislike minimal. I love complicated layered music. I genuinely believe we just hear differently. I have seen Richie Hawtin and he isn't to my taste. What is really important to me us the the music be played well

I have to admit once upon a time I would have been far more judgemental., maybe I'm growing up.
      Originally posted by TheVrk
      it IS incredible isn't it??
      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Nov 2013

Danny Howells used to play this in his sets in 01/02. To this day I'm still trying to work out what the fuck Danny did to it. There is a sample in Danny's version which sounds like Massive Attack, it is fucking mind blowing,

Comment

• thebanned1
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • May 2009

Minimal got so fucking intense it almost killed the techno scene dead, suddenly you had 4 trillion beatport fiends with cracked software banging out 1 and 2 note riff over the top of an illegally downloaded sample pack, not to forget the pitched down vocal, everyone uploaded that stuff to beatport, it was a horrendous time for music but like everything there was a bunch of people who were really good at it, magda was tremendous at one point, hawtin of course was the king but guys like gaiser and even dare i say it, dubfire, were also quite good at what they were doing at the time.

I've seen hawtin many times, Glasgow is renowned for it's techno parties and hawtin was and still is a regular, can't say I've not enjoyed every time I've seen him tbh. now though he's all grown up and I just can't get into it ( this being the perfect example...it sounds like a fucking car alarm https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10155604639872474 ) but i would still go and see him in Glasgow if there was a decent venue, SWG3 is terrible.

There really is no comparison between the two though, they are both good at what they do.
          How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

Melodies = euphoric; minimal = hypnotic.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
            a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Originally posted by m1sT3rL
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• REDROCK
              Gold Gabber
              • Feb 2015

If anyone can share a set or mix that is "minimal" and actually good, I'd like to hear it.
              Back when a club was a club full of dancers and dove's.

Comment

• DIDI
                Aussie Pest
                • Nov 2004

^^^
                Originally posted by TheVrk
                it IS incredible isn't it??
                STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• thebanned1
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by REDROCK
                  If anyone can share a set or mix that is "minimal" and actually good, I'd like to hear it.
                  easy...

Comment

• thebanned1
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • May 2009

ENTER. Music. Sake. Technology. Experience. ● www.ENTERexperience.com www.facebook.com/ENTER.official www.twitter.com/ENTERexperience www.instagram.com/ENTERexperience Download the official

Comment

• thebanned1
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • May 2009

Comment

• feather
                        Shanghai ooompa loompa
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by thebanned1
                        easy...

Yeah these are my benchmarks for minimal. They're the perfect music to work to.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• kolakao
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Feb 2009

Women quite often change their mind, so in one week she may preffer Cattaneo over Hawtin

Comment

• REDROCK
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Feb 2015

Nice thanks for sharing these Mr Titties!
                            Back when a club was a club full of dancers and dove's.

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by thebanned1

( this being the perfect example...it sounds like a fucking car alarm https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10155604639872474 )
                              lol it really sounds like that wtf

im ok with different tastes but that era of electro / minimal (2005/ 2008?) was a nightmare for me.. Mostly Warren and Hernan were my heroes of that time and certainly my true heroes now, always doing their thing better and better, god bless them.

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

Working...