X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NastyD
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Mp3 is 25 years old!

In the streaming era, music is accessed from a variety of online services, ephemeral in nature and never living on board the device. However, the online audio revolution really kicked off with the …

Love the way that it talks about mp3 now being outdated and "While few of us still trawl file sharing networks looking for the latest albums".
    An ounce of image is worth a pound of performance.
  • diegoff
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: Mp3 is 25 years old!

nice read, thanks!
    It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
    Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
    May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• sbando
      Going back to Romford
      • Apr 2008

To be honest, I did enjoy the 1999/2004 Internet. Napster, Kazaa, eDonkey and eMule. The rise of Lame, EAC and flac.
      ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
      ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
      ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*
      ╚══`.¸. ...:::.(¯`•\|/•´¯) ☆*゚

Comment

• NastyD
        Gold Gabber
        • Jun 2004

Not forgetting the much loved AudioGalaxy. Not only was [ms] born there - it was actually rather good. Whereas Napster, et. al. and even Soulseek made you choose a file from a single user, with AG you chose a file and it would be downloaded from wherever was available, so if a user went off line your download didn't break. Bit like a torrent. Also, you could choose some files to download at work using the web interface and your PC at home that was running the client would do the downloading ready for when you got home!

Comment

• sbando
          Going back to Romford
          • Apr 2008

True.

eMule worked the same way, the Web UI was all I needed . And to be completely honest, I'm even more fond of the 90s Internet. Learning new things each day, newsgroups, using spiders to rip sites, etc.
          ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
          ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
          ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*

Comment

• progressive420
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Happy Birthday to the Mp3. It has made alot of happiness possible. Mainly thorough this website.

Outdated my ass....its been very useful and will continue to be. Im sure cds and vinyl are "outdated" as well, but you show me a better way to put out music than those 3 options.
            "Always........Dancing in My Mind"

Comment

• NastyD
              Gold Gabber
              • Jun 2004

If I'm going to buy some music or video I want the sucker in my hand or on my disk. Not on some 3rd party service via a subscription that could be removed at any time or go out of business.

I've got albums and 12" singles that are 35 years old in my collection. Will Spotify and Amazon still be around in 35 years???

Comment

• DIDI
                Aussie Pest
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by NastyD
                If I'm going to buy some music or video I want the sucker in my hand or on my disk. Not on some 3rd party service via a subscription that could be removed at any time or go out of business.

I've got albums and 12" singles that are 35 years old in my collection. Will Spotify and Amazon still be around in 35 years???
                We all knew I would agree with this .
                Originally posted by TheVrk
                it IS incredible isn't it??
                STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• thebanned1
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • May 2009

without a doubt the WORST thing that has ever happened in music was the birth of mp3
                  How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by thebanned1
                    without a doubt the WORST thing that has ever happened in music was the birth of mp3
                    Me and Charlie May are with you on that. It made poor quality sound available to all
                    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• sbando
                      Going back to Romford
                      • Apr 2008

Can of worms. It started with digital music, a CD's Redbook specs (16-44) are not that great either.

MP3 has many shortcomings but it somehow survived and let us have endless free music. I honestly can't complain.

One thing that I hate about digital formats is that they introduced the infamous "t's good enough for me" philosophy . Back in the day 128kbs was "good enough", I've always hated that.
                      ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                      ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                      ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*

Comment

• diegoff
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jun 2004

best thing about mp3 is that a band of progressive black metal from iceland (i.e.) has fans in south america and they can play gigs there.
                        I remember geting to know new music before mp3: Or asking friends, or spending 20-25 bucks on a cd I didn´t know if I was going to like.

Of course, I hate mp3 quality and always had.
                        It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                        Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                        May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• DIDI
                          Aussie Pest
                          • Nov 2004

You know what is the worst?? we could have all music in reasonable 320 quality, but we don't because it isn't about the music any more. We don't have endless free music , we pay for it one way or the other. That is not what I would want anyway. Music has value !

I treasure even the memories of how I used to get my music. And I still have it all !! Well except the stuff that got stolen, and a couple that got wrecked at parties . Oh and the African music I didn't get back from my son's teacher. I never minded paying for quality ever. !!

The way technology is going you won't be able to keep it for those lengths of times. Hard drives die and one day you might not even be able to store your music. It could sooner than we think with everything being about streaming now.

I hope I die before that happens.

I think we all agree that Mixcloud is bad. But I found sets that I have on Mixcloud and they are atrocious !!! So bad they are hard to recognise as the same set.

Comment

• sbando
                            Going back to Romford
                            • Apr 2008

Soundcloud, Mixcloud and friends have definitely made things even worse.
                            ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                            ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                            ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*

Comment

Working...