John Digweed - Bunker Session #27 (07-11-20)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ♫♫♫♫♫♫
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Nov 2013

Re: John Digweed - Bunker Session #27 (07-11-20)

Have you been on the crack pipe Dom? I fully understand the effort that goes into it, I just realise that if you are doing it for money, you're very likely to be upset. I believe that just because you made a record you don't have an entitlement to a career out of it.

Comment

• Knightsfan87
      Gold Gabber
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by thebanned1
      As usual Chris, acting like a first grade speng but then I've come to expect that from you. It's a shame you don't understand the work that goes into music, it's also a shame that you're stuck in the 90s. Doing it for the love doesn't pay the fucking bills, would you go out into your job and work for free ?
      Using an local artist here in Sydney as an example - He is a DJ, runs a touring promotion & a record store. He still works a 9-5 job to pay the bills. Why's he do the music side of things? Because he loves it. It doesn't pay all the bills though.

Comment

• GregWhelan
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

^In the noughties me and a mate decided to put on a few club nights in our hometown because there was nowhere local that we could hear progressive music. We knew from the outset it would cost us money and we'd never see that money again. We didn't care - it was all about the excitement of playing out and hearing that music in a local club.

Financially it was a disaster, probably cost us £1000 in total over all of the nights but all I remember is how buzzing we were when people we didnt know actually turned up and spent time dancing and enjoying themselves. Priceless memories

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by lord lucan
          What do you mean find me? Ive just given you two examples . Some people arent in it for the money, how hard is that to get a grasp of for fuck sake? They made and still make music just for a buzz irrespective of monetary gain. Is that really so hard for you?
          They have full time jobs and making music is a hobby. That's all. A hobby. Thyve run labels at a loss purely because thats what you do when youre passionate about something. Many businesses' run at a loss . Again, why is that hard to believe for you? Its actually you that cant get youre head around a concept.
          I do did say I couldn't get my head around that . You misunderstand me. I am saying you are mistaken. It may be all about the music for a lot of producers but if they were recognised for that music , and paid, they would feel great happiness.

I'm not saying that a there aren't many who will l keep at it for as long as they live because of their total passion for the music. Strangely enough Phil K is an example . He could have been a international Dj in all respects but he actively chose to stay in Melbourne . But playing was his joy .

Others here are giving example of that .
          Originally posted by TheVrk
          it IS incredible isn't it??
          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
          Simply does not get any better than Hernan
          The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Knightsfan87
            Using an local artist here in Sydney as an example - He is a DJ, runs a touring promotion & a record store. He still works a 9-5 job to pay the bills. Why's he do the music side of things? Because he loves it. It doesn't pay all the bills though.
            Obviously ignoring the pandemic from the moment. Isn't it a shame that way music is now that someone who loves so much to do what we benefit from every day can't make a living from it. ??

If they are good, we get benefit, they should be paid. If it had been up to me the arts would have been the firm to get support here in Australia .

When I think about maybe we want to be able to say they do it for the love because we don't want to pay them.
            Originally posted by TheVrk
            it IS incredible isn't it??
            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
            Simply does not get any better than Hernan
            The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• thebanned1
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • May 2009

Originally posted by ♫♫♫♫♫♫
              Have you been on the crack pipe Dom? I fully understand the effort that goes into it, I just realise that if you are doing it for money, you're very likely to be upset. I believe that just because you made a record you don't have an entitlement to a career out of it.
              I know I'll not make money from it but that doesn't mean others try to make money from it themselves. Labels are mostly running at a loss for a number of reasons.

Chris you're embarrassing yourself here. Usual comebacks etc but as I said, I've come to expect that from you.
              How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• thebanned1
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • May 2009

Originally posted by Knightsfan87
                Yea i know this all too well, you're unlikely to make money from music unless you're one of the top guys, this is why smaller artists are so insistant on pleasing the bigger guys to play their music, it's like trickle down economics

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Nov 2013

I know I'll not make money from it but that doesn't mean others try to make money from it themselves. Labels are mostly running at a loss for a number of reasons.

Chris you're embarrassing yourself here. Usual comebacks etc but as I said, I've come to expect that from you.
                  Dom you are the one that decided to get offensive and derail the thread back in post 151.

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Nov 2013

yea music isn't business that's why they teach business music courses at most of the prestige colleges

https://www.pointblankmusicschool.co...4aAnVwEALw_wcB
                    The people attending them courses are more likely to get a job in a major record company rather than working for a small label putting out a few releases a year.

We have done the whole working for free bit before. People do not have the right to a certain career, if you can make money out of doing something that you love great. You will probably find that many DJ's and musicians that have had limited success in the 90's or 00's have had to get a job because the work has run dry. Luke Fair, Sean Cusack, Matthew Roberts are examples that I can think of, they still gig, but they also have steady jobs. I'm not saying that they do not deserve to get paid, but they are not guaranteed a living out of it either.

Comment

• thebanned1
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • May 2009

Dom you are the one that decided to get offensive and derail the thread back in post 151.
                      who said I got offensive, your stupidity is my pet peeve, and of course you never said "top cuntery here" long before that

Comment

• thebanned1
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • May 2009

The people attending them courses are more likely to get a job in a major record company rather than working for a small label putting out a few releases a year.

We have done the whole working for free bit before. People do not have the right to a certain career, if you can make money out of doing something that you love great. You will probably find that many DJ's and musicians that have had limited success in the 90's or 00's have had to get a job because the work has run dry. Luke Fair, Sean Cusack, Matthew Roberts are examples that I can think of, they still gig, but they also have steady jobs. I'm not saying that they do not deserve to get paid, but they are not guaranteed a living out of it either.
                        oh wait ? the music is a business now is it ?

make up your mind Chris

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Nov 2013

oh wait ? the music is a business now is it ?

make up your mind Chris
                          WTF are you on about?

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Nov 2013

I wonder who many big name DJ's have put on their own night and got support acts or warm up DJ's to play for little money, or even for free, all done under the banner of giving them an opportunity. Some of these support acts have had to pay for flights, hotels and food, while the top DJ still takes their big pay packet. Many big name DJ's will also still take their large earnings on a night they know made a loss.

I posted this on Facebook and the thread got locked because some idiot could not comprehend that big name DJ's would do such a thing. The practice is more common the you think.

Comment

Working...