X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Shanghai

Took some pictures of my move, my last night in Sydney, and my first morning in Shanghai, thought I'd share them and update this in the future with new pictures or whatever gigs I attend (if I manage to get out of the office!).

Rest of it

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • lilsensa
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Shanghai

Awesome!!
    RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Feb 2009

Cool view from the plane!! Great pics

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• res0nat0r
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • May 2006

sweet! you have to let us know how it is. i think living in that city would be an amazing experience. i am super jealous.

Comment

• chanty
          John, John, where art thou!
          • Jun 2004

Wow..that's quite the move and location change. Thanks for sharing your pics. Looking forward to seeing Shanghai through your eyes!
          Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• Garrick
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

good luck in shanghai man... new opportunities and new stuff to see! i'm sure you'll have a great time over there.
            Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• AntonyM
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Oct 2004

Right on Feather, looks like Shanghai is going to suit you well, pack lite, that is the spirit, best of luck.
              Originally posted by Shpira
              So came back last night...
              Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
              Originally posted by Illuminate
              Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
              2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
              3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
              4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• sonatine
                Getting Somewhere
                • Mar 2005

what kind of camera do you have?

Comment

• tiddles
                  Encryption, Jr.
                  • Jun 2004

more city shots plz

Comment

• feather
                    Shanghai ooompa loompa
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by sonatine
                    what kind of camera do you have?
                    Ricoh GR Digital. It's a point and shoot with full manual controls.

Originally posted by tiddles
                    more city shots plz
                    Yeah I'd love to, the work hours here are nuts, I've pretty much been living in the office!

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• tiddles
                      Encryption, Jr.
                      • Jun 2004

sounds like asia

do you actually work or do you just have to be there before the boss and leave after him like in korea?

Comment

• feather
                        Shanghai ooompa loompa
                        • Jul 2004

Err I actually work unfortunately (like right now, 7:48pm on a Sat night). The culture doesn't require you to hang around and wait for your boss to leave.

I was habitually late when working in Sydney. In Shanghai, I'm habitually early despite showing up at the same time I did in Sydney. I've realised nobody comes to work early/on time because they're either working late the night before, or are expecting a late night!

Comment

• feather
                          Shanghai ooompa loompa
                          • Jul 2004

Monday, second week in Shanghai, felt like a first day that never ended since I've been working every day including weekends and putting in late hours. Taking a break before I get back to work (9:43pm!) so I thought I'd post about my first week's experience.

I'm glad to dispel the general stereotype that the Chinese spit everywhere, I haven't seen any spitting at all. But I did hear the government put a huge fine on spitting so that might be why.

Heaps of smokers here and they smoke everywhere, including indoors. We have a smoking room at work like the airport, next to the recreation room. And in the recreation room, instead of pool, you get ping pong.

And they smoke IN the office at their desks after hours, so getting the second hand smoke is weird. And unfortunately that's started me having a few smokes with my colleague when I work back. And yup they smoke in restaurants.

When people want you, they want you immediately. They don't believe in emails here. They'll either come looking for you, or call you. A lot of urgency / lack of patience in every day life, expecting quick response, but strangely enough, everyone walks leisurely on the streets—I'd expect fast-paced like Hong Kong.

Food is very interesting even for someone used to Asian cuisine. You think you know Asian cuisine from eating out in Chinatown or authentic Chinese restaurants, but in China, you start drilling down into the different cuisines from different dialects / provinces as opposed to just 'Asian' or 'Cantonese.'

An expat living here can probably find anything they want, either the original foreign import, or a local analog. Walking around a 'foreign' supermarket, you'll see brands and products you recognise, and you'll be surprised at other foreign products you've never seen back home.

Architecture is amazing here, keep seeing new stuff, and there're all these hole-in-the-wall stores selling food or electrical goods or smokes, and street side carts selling anything from fried 'crepes' to roast duck noodles. Don't think anyone ever gets bored walking around, and I've hardly done much since I spend all my time in the office.

I found a tiny 2 bedroom apartment in a 'walk-up' that's probably 4-storey tall. Old apartment that was renovated with new stuff 2 months ago, but set among a block of similar buildings in a 'compound,' it's like some kinda community living, I don't know how to describe it, will have pics when I move in. And the 2br is gonna cost me 5.5K RMB a month which is like 915.50 AUD or 805 USD! 10 mins cab ride from the office, another 5-10 mins cab ride to a shopping district.

And a 10-min cab ride costs 12 RMB, 1.75 USD or 2 AUD

Unfortunately no time to check out the local music scene yet, though I hear Shelter is the place for underground music. DJ Krush played there 2 weeks back, so it can't be that bad.

Will upload more pics tomorrow.

Comment

• Steve Graham
                            DJ Jelly
                            • Jun 2004

what do you do for work?
                            I'm sure this has been mentioned some where already, but i missed it

sounds like it would be a bit of culture shock, but a great experience

keep the pics coming mate

Comment

• simonr
                              Transitionator
                              • Jun 2004

Great pics ... on my long long list of places to travel to and/or catch Diggers !!

China always makes me think of the Oakenfold Rojam set
                              sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

Working...