• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIDI
    Aussie Pest
    • Nov 2004

Re: Britain leaves EU

Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
    To me, it really seemed like a lot of the populace of the UK were getting fed up with referendums and elections, and wanted a simple solution to a problem that was pretty complex with no easy explanations and prone to a lot of misinformation, exaggeration and hyperbole from each side. I think it doesn't help that there's a rising anti-intellectual movement that feels like they know more than the experts, based upon either their narcissistic idea that how they feel is more valuable than actually being informed of the consequences of their actions.

I am pretty amused how the guys that were responsible for pushing the leave vote are backpeddling furiously on the platform promises that they knew they couldn't deliver on.

This was a really stupid, self inflicted wound the older citizens inflicted on themselves and the younger generation. Evidence is probably best shown with how the UK just lost their triple A credit rating today.
    Well if the younger generation had actually come out and voted they might have got what they wanted.
    Originally posted by TheVrk
    it IS incredible isn't it??
    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• DIDI
      Aussie Pest
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
      another good piece:

No.
      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• Jenks
        I'm kind of a big deal.
        • Jun 2004

wasn't necessarily agreeing with it, but that's the sentiment out there and with Marine La Pin having a fighting change, France's EU referendum could be up next.

shit is crumbling. how amazingly fragile everything is.

Comment

• thebanned1
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • May 2009

unfortunately it is heavily biased in favour of this being a great thing without even touching the reality or consequences of this actually happening, if this story is anything to go by then the NY times is living in a complete fantasy world
          How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• floridaorange
            I'm merely a humble butler
            • Dec 2005

From Brussels, Brexit looks a lot like Kabuki theater | Public Radio International

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Feb 2009

Never heard of Kabuki theater metaphor before and agree pretty much with everything. Good one.

Would say it looks like the first phase of populism (first world populism in this case) .. A perverse mechanism used by politicians that sounds good (specially for those in need) but extremelly difficult to put in practice.. if not impossible.

Appealing populism is very common in southamerica and it cyclically get success from politicians because people is sick of big bussines, media and hegemonic groups, etc. Years later, people get sick of politicians (who at least in southamerica they all end up as thiefs and corrupt when they get full power) and the cicle starts again.

Thats why Trump is a mistery to me.. A filthy rich business man appealing neo fascist populism and not a few people believe his crap of making america great again.. He has the worst of both sides.

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• floridaorange
                • Dec 2005

^Cautionary tale to be sure... as a long side note in response to your comment about populism, Trump and the US, I really do hope America is not headed in that direction. I think populism has a tribalism component to it as well, which has been brewing strongly since the Bush administration I think. That administration really cut out a lot of the social care parts of our society, which signaled to a lot of America that money was more important than people. And fuck that by the way. But Trump has been digging his own campaigns grave now for months, and will be impossible to dig himself out of it. I think our country is actually slowly on the right track as far as the collective consciousness goes. I guess living close to this last horrendous attack on a night club and witnessing the community come together and it still is has given me new hope in the midst of all the darkness.

Comment

• DIDI
                  Aussie Pest
                  • Nov 2004

^^ How many communities have to keep "coming together" before America wakes up ??

Comment

• thebanned1
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • May 2009

2 things that are completely hilarious about this whole thing 1) the leave campaign now deleting speeches and promises made from their website simply because they can't deliver on their promises and 2) the fact that leave voters are calling remainers thick as pig shit for voting remain yet they feel for shit like "points style immigration policy and closed borders", then the leave campaign tells them AFTER the vote that they have no "plan" to implement the things they promised in their campaign and then they handed over that responsibility to the government in office ( btw 90% of whom happened to be in favor of remain ), "they are the ones that should of planned for this".... who's the ones that are thick as pig shit here ?
                    How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• floridaorange
                      • Dec 2005

Here's how the Brexit vote will affect America | Public Radio International

Comment

• barski
                        Addiction started
                        • May 2013

Let's face it. The EU is a monster.
                        They are now planning to give 62 Billion to Africa.
                        European people have worked hard for that money, and now politicians are simply throwing it away.
                        This sh*t is why people want to leave the EU.

EXPECT THUNDERSTORMS !!

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
                          DUDERZ get a life!!!
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by barski
                          Let's face it. The EU is a monster.
                          They are now planning to give 62 Billion to Africa.
                          European people have worked hard for that money, and now politicians are simply throwing it away.
                          This sh*t is why people want to leave the EU.

EXPECT THUNDERSTORMS !!
                          Sure.. African people can starve later.

I would not say whole Europe but specifically the British empire took whatever they need from Africa across centuries of fairly cruel domination and submission.. The results of that behaviour are very clear and no one seems to care much.. "throwing it away" help is the less Europe can do for such a devastated continent with direct incidence because of their politics.

Europe could chose not to squeeze to the limit all the resources in Africa but they chose to do it anyway... By now big part of african people dont have water, starve to death and die for ridiculous diseases, but people yells for the crumbles Europe might send to them.

Unbelievable.

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• barski
                            Addiction started
                            • May 2013

Yeah, there's no water and food at all, yet somehow Africans manage to grow up to perfectly healthy adults, only to jump in a boat when they're 25.

Comment

• floridaorange
                              • Dec 2005

Doubt that ^^

for instance: 5,500 children die in Eastern and Southern Africa every day | Press centre | UNICEF

Comment

• barski
                                Addiction started
                                • May 2013

That was in 2005.

But the boats are coming, from Africa and from Asia as well.
                                So, in fact, Europe is solving other continent's problems.
                                I'm sure frau Merkel had some boats ready to send to the UK.. Brexit was just in time.

On a more serious note:
                                Does Africa needs help? Yes!
                                Who's helping? Europe.
                                is the USA helping?
                                is Argentina helping?

Comment

Working...