X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DancingQueen
    AVB FanClub | President
    • Oct 2005

Re: 8.9 quake hits Japan

This is seriously getting scarier by the day. We almost need a miracle to stop the melt down...its now being said this disaster is on par with Chernobyl

sigpic
    RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
    RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• Kat
      A pretty fn good milkshake
      • Mar 2006

what i dont get is why they would even build a nuclear power plant on the shore thats very likely to be hit by a tsunami in the country where earthquakes are expected to happen often
      ??

and they got hit again, this is breaking my heart
      ♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪• אין סוף •♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•

Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

From the first quake and what I read, I think they factored in quakes but not tsunamis.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• floridaorange
          I'm merely a humble butler
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Kat
          what i dont get is why they would even build a nuclear power plant on the shore(
          The nuclear plants are water intensive and in the event of a meltdown need the water (salt or fresh) to cool down the reactors.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• runningman
            Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
            • Jun 2004

Japan has reportedly decided to raise the severity level of the crisis at its tsunami-crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant to the maximum seven on an international scale from the current status of five.

Comment

• Kat
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by floridaorange
              The nuclear plants are water intensive and in the event of a meltdown need the water (salt or fresh) to cool down the reactors.
              yeah i get that but that didnt work obviously

Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.

Comment

• DIDI
                Aussie Pest
                • Nov 2004

Well it did for 40 years. Sad thing is it coming up to it's use by date anyway.
                Originally posted by TheVrk
                it IS incredible isn't it??
                STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Kat
                  • Mar 2006

as i have heard salt water damages the reactors permanently, so i dont think they've been using it for 40 years.
                  just to big of a risk in my opinion, but i'm no expert

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

I meant the reactor has been working for 40 years .
                    Originally posted by TheVrk
                    it IS incredible isn't it??
                    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• bobjuice
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

Under normal circumstances the reactor is water cooled by it's own cooling system. The meltdown began to occur when this cooling system failed and it's back-up system also failed. These pumps failed as a result of the tsunami, not the meltdown that followed.

Once a meltdown looked more likely and the restarting of the cooling system less so, seawater was used in an attempt to cool the reactor by simply hosing the plant with the stuff or dropping seawater into the reactor.

Cooling in this way is nothing like how the plant cools itself under normal conditions but maybe that's where the confusion comes from?

Comment

• bobjuice
                        Banned
                        • May 2008

A good comparison would be your car's cooling system. Imagine how quickly heat builds up if your water pump fails? Then imagine you have no means of switching off the engine so it's just gonna get hotter and hotter till it blows.

Imagine your best efforts at cooling it down is by throwing a cup of water onto it every 5 minutes from 10 feet away, that's about what you're looking at.

Comment

• Dhar_2
                          meat and potatoes
                          • Jun 2004

what if you pee into it?

Comment

• bobjuice
                            Banned
                            • May 2008

burn willy

Comment

• Alexudis
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dhar_2
                              what if you pee into it?
                              explodes

Comment

• res0nat0r
                                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                                • May 2006

Scientific American is the essential guide to the most awe-inspiring advances in science and technology, explaining how they change our understanding of the world and shape our lives.

Article about this and Chernobyl.

Comment

Working...